440 Intake Manifold Suggestions

MJFUR

Reaction score
Last edited:
Sounds like what I have done as I have a 505 stroker ready for install. From my research the Performer does not flow anywhere near what a Performer RPM airgap intake does. The problem with the RPM performer is that it is very tall compared to the Performer which depending on what air cleaner you want to use could be a problem. I believe the Performer RPM Air gap intake is stated to be 1 7/8 inches taller than a stock intake. I had spoken to and read many threads on strokers from mild to wild over at Forbbodiesonly.com and Dwayne Porter who designed my engine.
I wanted to use my dual snorkel stock air cleaner as the engine will look stock but the RPM was too tall for the intake + stock aircleaner and add a smidge more height from replacing the 39 year old motor mounts. By my measurements the hood would not close. I was told at ForBbodiesonly guys that the regular performer would not be suitable for a big stroker and was limited even on a regular 440. If you have the room the Performer RPM Airgap was the #1 choice by most all over there for a street once in awhile strip stroker overall. I used neither though.
Pic of the Airgap

Performer RPM Big Block Chrysler RB Intake Manifold

1644248262344.png

Last edited:
I use that manifold on my 440 and I like it.

However, there is an important issue that you must be aware of. The carb will be about 1.5 inches higher than stock, and if you have a carb where the cable connection is somewhat high on the carb, like my Street Demon, you'll have an alignment issue (and possibly a hood issue). To raise the cable, I cut the stock bracket and added an appropriate piece of bar stock, about 1.5" long, as you can see in the pic below.

1644249939906.jpeg

You can see the straight shot the cable has to the linkage in this pic.

1644250062952.jpeg

70FuryConv tried to use the performer rpm and the dual snorkel hit the hood...someone else with a 70 300 told him it worked so he figured the shape of the 2 hoods were different...i have the regular performer 440 on my 68 and its basically factory height...PIA cause i need an adapter plate for my Holley....and i swear i've read dyno tests that say there really isnt much difference between it and a factory one

70FuryConv tried to use the performer rpm and the dual snorkel hit the hood...someone else with a 70 300 told him it worked so he figured the shape of the 2 hoods were different...i have the regular performer 440 on my 68 and its basically factory height...PIA cause i need an adapter plate for my Holley....and i swear i've read dyno tests that say there really isnt much difference between it and a factory one
The Performer is an aluminum version of a stock manifold.

The Performer is an aluminum version of a stock manifold.
Not true. My AC top bracket would not fit on the Performer as it is too tall. There is an aluminum manifold that is a copy of the stock iron one, but it's not the Eddy. I had one before I bought the Eddy.

Not true. My AC top bracket would not fit on the Performer as it is too tall. There is an aluminum manifold that is a copy of the stock iron one, but it's not the Eddy. I had one before I bought the Eddy.
I thought it was an improved version of the 4BDP (or whatever the original copy was). It may be taller, but I thought it was basically the same thing.

@Trace 300 Hurst did you have to modify anything to get your compressor to fit? Using the Performer I take with factory A/C.

I thought it was an improved version of the 4BDP (or whatever the original copy was). It may be taller, but I thought it was basically the same thing.

@Trace 300 Hurst did you have to modify anything to get your compressor to fit? Using the Performer I take with factory A/C.

The compressor bracketry is OEM. No issues. But in the second pic notice the tall screw that I had to install at the back of the compressor for the throttle return springs. Again, that's to get good alignment with the high attachment point on the linkage.

IMG_1894.JPG
IMG_1899.JPG
IMG_1907.JPG
IMG_2080.JPG

i have an edelbrock performer rpm on my U code 70 300 convert which has fact a/c, i had no issues with fit

20190724_160323.jpg

20191004_131345.jpg

From memory from the 440 intake comparo the offy 360 sucks, the wieand action plus, ch4b, performer are all about the same. Rpm perf is better tq and hp.
If it won't clear the hood the Holley street dominator will. It kills low end tq, but with a 505" that may be fine. Top end is strong.

If it won't clear the hood the Holley street dominator will. It kills low end tq, but with a 505" that may be fine. Top end is strong.
I went with the Holley street Dominator single plane. They were all in agreement that I won't notice any lack in torque down low with a stroker and the top end breaths very well and it sits nice and low. I cut out that stupid webbing with the Holley Logo on it. If there is room which I think there will be I will add a spacer to the carb.

20200215_092247.jpg

Last edited:
You'll notice that the top bracket, from the compressor to the intake, is missing on my car. It would not fit when I added the Eddy. I had no problem with the throttle spring.

IMG_2598.JPG

IMG_2599.JPG

My performer RPM combo on my 505. I run a 1/2" thick laminated spacer and a quickfuel ss830 carb.

Last edited:
I ran a port matched edelbrock ch4b on my 496.The rpm wouldn't clear the hood on my 70 Dodge Polara.I ran the street dominator as well but switched back to the dual plane.I had Hughes Engines deep port match both of mine but you can do it yourself.

When I had an rv2 on the fury when efi I did make my own bracket for that spot. Sanden mounts completely differently now

i have an edelbrock performer rpm on my U code 70 300 convert which has fact a/c, i had no issues with fit

View attachment 513921

View attachment 513922

forgot to mention im using an edelbrock AVS 2 800 cfm # 1913
1970 Fury Convertible, double bulge hood: I ran same manifold, same carb, and same dual snorkel air cleaner. Hood clearance was not even close. Had to run a factory 4 barrel manifold. Plus side, 440 is an excellent "performer" with the stock manifold.

Since OP has 69 300 and you have 70 300, I bet everything fits on his car.

It definitely a matter of all things. There is not a lot of vertical space on these cars. I ran a spacer and a cheapo edelbrock air filter housing and a 2" filter and it rubbed on the hood elevation for years.
Last year I got the correct air filter housing and it has enough drop to keep it from rubbing. I think the later housing has more drop. Marko has the overall setup. I intend to go that route when I put on the rpm.

69 Chrysler 300, four door, auto, 440 is being rebuilt, 505 stroker, 9.5-10.0 c/r, Lunati Voodoo Voodoo Hydraulic Flat Tappet - Chrysler 361-440 268/276.
Car will be a driver, not a race car. Looking for low end torque, not high rpm HP.
Was thinking about this, Performer 440 Intake Manifold for Chrysler, RB Series 413-440 Engines

Any thoughts/experience on which intake would work best with my specs?

Thx
You sound like you are doing what I am thinking about doing. Can I pick your brain a bit. I am getting a motor built for me 1969 300 convertible. I would like it to be a ton of fun to drive around town with the occasional log trip. How did you build turn out.

Back