440 No Oil in Top End

Scott 440 TNT

Reaction score
Hello
I have a 72 440 and can’t get oil to the rockers on either side. I removed the oil pressure sender and it pours oil when pump is spun with a drill. I’ve run a wire through the head and into the cam after rotating to line up the holes. The motor turns hard by hand. Could it have a spun main crank bearing and that’s blocking the oil flow? If so I will need to tear it down.
Thanks for your suggestions.

Chrysler B/RB engines oil the top end (i.e. lifters and such) before oil goes to the crankshaft, in the factory OEM design of things. Oil can be restricted to the top side to prioritize lower-end oiling, if desired.

Easier for a "typical Chrysler owner" of old to hear a ticking valve lifter rather than feel a rod or main bearing thumping in the floorpan.

CBODY67

oil only goes to the rockers at a certain position of the crankshaft so you need to turn the engine over to get there.

oil only goes to the rockers at a certain position of the crankshaft so you need to turn the engine over to get there.
I slowly rotated the motor by hand with a wire stuck through the head until it dropped into the cam. Still no oil up top.

If the engine runs you should start by checking the oil pressure with a gauge. If it has normal pressure, about 35psi, the cam bearing may have spun. If it does not run, you can check some other things. Turn the engine over with the starter and check each rocker to be sure that they are all moving normally. It is pretty common for Mopar big blocks that have sat for an extended period to break or bend push rods because of rusty valve guides. This will cause a lifter to be thrown out of the galley resulting in zero oil pressure to the top end and everything else. You should also check to be sure that some numb nuts has not installed the rocker shafts upside down. If they are improperly oriented, the oil passage is blocked off to the rocker shaft.

Dave

Last edited:
Was any work done on this engine prior to this issue? Rebuild?

Almost sounds like front galley plug missing.

Was any work done on this engine prior to this issue? Rebuild?

Almost sounds like front galley plug missing.
No recent signs of engine work.
Rocker shafts are removed so I’m looking for oil to come up from #4 cam bearing.
Valley pan removed, oil is coming up around the lifters, No stuck valves.
Thanks

No recent signs of engine work.
Rocker shafts are removed so I’m looking for oil to come up from #4 cam bearing.
Valley pan removed, oil is coming up around the lifters, No stuck valves.
Thanks
Follow up!
I have struck oil finally!
After many crank revolutions and a wire stuck down through #4 holes on both heads I could line up the passages.
Now I have to check the main bearings to see if there is a spun bearing causing a tight rotation.

Back