440 transplant into my '65 Fury lll

No problem, we're all here to help with info. And that trans info is one of the things the factory did that is easy to get confused years later. They clearly weren't thinking of us, nor the internet.

Hey Rag, I have been off line for a few days. I did order the motor mount and got it in the mail yesterday. The however is, the amount I received will bolt directly into the original 440 Motor mount holes. I do not foresee that is a problem however now as I do look at the mounts on the vehicle it appears they are offset. It does look like I have the wrong amount here.

image.jpg

My bad. It's been a long time since the 727 I have stored was pulled out of the 65 New Yorker.
Hello again fellas. I am going to post a picture of the transmission that came along with this for 40 engine. I do not know it's nomenclature. I was told it came out of the motorhome. Which ideally should mean that it is fairly heavy duty. Very short and squat Transmission. I realize if this transmission will work for me I will need a longer drive shaft. I also recall reading from a member on this form that the 318 driveshaft is too small and ill-equipped for the 440 engine.

IMG_1851.JPG

IMG_1852.JPG

Hello again fellas. I am going to post a picture of the transmission that came along with this for 40 engine. I do not know it's nomenclature. I was told it came out of the motorhome. Which ideally should mean that it is fairly heavy duty. Very short and squat Transmission. I realize if this transmission will work for me I will need a longer drive shaft. I also recall reading from a member on this form that the 318 driveshaft is too small and ill-equipped for the 440 engine.

IMG_1853.JPG

From everything I've heard, 65 is a 1-year trans, as it has a U-joint output shaft, and 64-older is B&T?
66 is a 1-year trans also, due to being lever-shift and the 66-older torque converter spline count.
67-up is more 'universal'.

Seedywags - are you needing the 65-only motormount and oilpan? I have a mount for sure, might have the pan also.
I am now actively seeking the oil pan. I have my mount situation rectified. Any info on the proper pick up tube, sump, is appreciated also.

That looks like it might be a HD-truck-type trans, all the motorhome transmissions I have seen do not have that big boss on the top. At the very minimum you'd need to cut that off and dress it down to eliminate stress risers.

But it's a bit shorter, so you need a longer-than-usual driveshaft, and longer shafts need to be stouter to maintain rigidity. And the governor and shift points will be tailored for a ~200hp truck. I would recommend finding a standard car trans.

But yes, that dude will have some HD parts in it for sure! More pinions in the planetaries, possibly more clutch plates. If you decide to blend parts of that one with a regular car trans, you'll need to make sure all the spline angles of the shafts and drums match up. There was a change in the mid-late 70s that kept the same spline count, but a different spline angle, and if you mix-match them improperly they can strip out.

that tranny would be a pita to even try to use.
from the short tail to the yoke to the rib mount,all bad news.
the internals are the only good stuff there,and its used so yeah.
waste of time.

better off with a longtail 727 from a car or a pickup truck.

Thank you Fury Fan and Beater,
That will be my new quest. Any idea what a decent trans will cost me? Have those2 kids going to college!!
My other problem is with my front brake shoes. I didn't forsee such a problem. Ordered fnt and rear shoes; 2" rear and 3" fnt. Rears fit and it's all back together. Front is another story. The original measure 2.80" wide. My Rock Auto replacement measures 3.10". Tried NAPA; they also are 3.10". Both too wide to seat the drums. I never took the races out; I cannot get the nut far enough to insert the cotter pin. Where oh where can I get the 2.80" shoe? As always thank you. (PS: got the proper left side motor mount. Tall Hair came through with the oil pan and pickup)

lol man i keep telling you,i have the tranny you need,out of a working car.
65 bb trans,worked when pulled.
now,i had it hooked to a pushbutton setup,which you cant use.
youll need the shifter/w cables.
im assuming? you have these items on the trans in the car currently.

id also advise getting a new convertor,as this ones been laying around in the shop for eons.
it would be fine prolly,but i dont like taking chances.
lmk if this helps and youd like pics.

on the front brakes,what do your drums measure?
maybe the shoes are different for bb to sb cars?
light duty versus heavy duty

Back