For Sale 440 VIP fury coupe

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is approaching the ultimate for what a Fury fan would want. (I'm not wild about the color and I want to see the condition of that side trim).

This is the 2nd 68 440 Fury I've now seen with the large 67 snorkel-less bigblock Barracuda aircleaner on it. Would expect that to have the dual oval-snout version. I'm wondering if that's a sign of something we are still yet to learn about?

The high/fat arch on the driverside HP manifold almost looks like the B-body version.

Needs significantly better pics and info to determine if worth $17500. Could be a 12,000 car that needs 10k of rework to pull 17,500. But what we can see looks pretty nice.

I agree that a 440 VIP coupe approaches that ultimate, at least for a '68 Fury fanatic such as my self. My dream is to find one in the dark blue color offered but rarely seen.

FYI, in '68, if you ordered a 440 in a Fury other than a station wagon you got the 375 horse 440, which came with the unsilenced (non-snorkel) air cleaner with a pie tin. I run a dual snorkel on my yellow '68 Sport Fury "440" as I also race the car and the dual snorkel has better air flow and takes in cooler air. The 383-4V '68 Fury cars used a non-pie tin dual snorkel air cleaner. I run a pie tin style dual snorkel on my green '68 Sport Fury because the pie tin style air cleaner really dresses up the engine. Take a look through the air cleaner pages of your parts book some time.

So you mean a 68 Fury 440 (non-wagon) would have the big one this car has, or this unsilenced one I circled in red?
The yellow says both 383 and 440 in P and D carlines would be snorkeled. I know Nick's info isn't 100% complete and correct, but it's one of the best compilations I've ever seen.

I'm not trying to say you are wrong, maybe it's just because that big unsilenced one looks so wrong on a C-body.
If it is correct, I wonder if it is taller than the A-body version, ala 67 B vs C dual snorkel.
Nick's Garage - Air Cleaner Identification

upload_2017-11-19_10-55-38.png

Oh, and here ya go. Whenever I think of a VIP coupe, this comes to mind. My favorite color too (except maybe the dark red).
e86b22c2d6d8917ca632aefad6d38a3b.jpg

Ugh! For some reason, I thought we were talking 67. Total brain fart.

So you mean a 68 Fury 440 (non-wagon) would have the big one this car has, or this unsilenced one I circled in red?
The yellow says both 383 and 440 in P and D carlines would be snorkeled. I know Nick's info isn't 100% complete and correct, but it's one of the best compilations I've ever seen.

I'm not trying to say you are wrong, maybe it's just because that big unsilenced one looks so wrong on a C-body.
If it is correct, I wonder if it is taller than the A-body version, ala 67 B vs C dual snorkel.
Nick's Garage - Air Cleaner Identification

A Plymouth Fury factory 440 "L" code 375 HP engine car (non-wagon) would have the small diameter unsilenced air cleaner except for early production cars. Don't know what year California started their noise level crap but if in '68, California cars would have gotten the dual snorkel pie tin air cleaner. Chrysler & Dodge C Body cars did not use the unsilenced air cleaners. Fury wagons with a "K" code 350 HP 440 as well as Dodge & Chrysler C Body cars and C Body cars with the 325 HP 383 engines used the non pie tin dual snorkel air cleaner and "L" code 375 HP Dodge and Chrysler C Bodies used the pie tin style air cleaner in 1968. I know that some police cars were special ordered with the dual snorkel air cleaner and suspect many 440 Fury owners complained about the noisy unsilenced air cleaners and likely had them swapped out.

I am going by memory. When I converted my yellow '68 Sport Fury from a 318 car to a stock appearing 440 (really a 520") I researched this issue using a '68 Chrysler Parts Book.

That's the color my grandma would have picked, she had a late 70's New Yorker in a similar shade. I'll always be fond of that color.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back