4spd C Body's

Fury Man Van

Reaction score
I have 2 4spd Furys both have reverse lights on the dash, does that mean that they both had Hurst Shifter? I was told that the inland shifter car's did not have the reverse light.

Screenshot_20210119-191821_eBay.jpg

20200719_095613.jpg

Screenshot_20210119-191725_eBay.jpg

Last edited:
Hello, from what I have learned on B-bodies, and I would assume it crosses over to all lines, Hurst's have a reverse light and Inland's do not. It appears to be a mid 68 transition (at least in B-bodies). I have never heard an explanation as to why, but that seems to be the case.

Hello, from what I have learned on B-bodies, and I would assume it crosses over to all lines, Hurst's have a reverse light and Inland's do not. It appears to be a mid 68 transition (at least in B-bodies). I have never heard an explanation as to why, but that seems to be the case.
That's what I heard but wasn't sure if the C Body's were the same.

I did a quick study of the 68 documentation and it appears that all C bodies came with the Inland shifter and that there was no factory Hurst option.

So in the case of the C body, the light just means it was a 4 speed.

I did a quick study of the 68 documentation and it appears that all C bodies came with the Inland shifter and that there was no factory Hurst option.

It must have been a real quick study, because the late model did come with the Hurst shifter.

In regards to it being an "option", if you're referring to it as an extra cost, that's not the case. A shifter change or difference would have been a change over. They went from one manufacturer to another. It was not an option like an AM/FM radio. Hurst was initially used in 4 speed Mopars (64 & 65?) and then went to their own "internal" manufacturer, Inland. Then they went back to Hurst's (sometime in 68).
Sorry if I am misunderstanding your statement.

In regards to it being an "option", if you're referring to it as an extra cost, that's not the case. A shifter change or difference would have been a change over. They went from one manufacturer to another. It was not an option like an AM/FM radio. Hurst was initially used in 4 speed Mopars (64 & 65?) and then went to their own "internal" manufacturer, Inland. Then they went back to Hurst's (sometime in 68).
I understand that part, I guess that I am asking is if it has a reverse light on the dash that it came with the Hurst Shifter.

I understand that part, I guess that I am asking is if it has a reverse light on the dash that it came with the Hurst Shifter.
My 2 cents on that is, inlands had a reverse lock out, where Hurst's did not. I think it was a safety thing in Mopars mind as no other mfg ever did something like that.

My 65 does not have a reverse light equipped with a Hurst shifter .
Could you pinpoint where it might go?

furyint.jpg

By quick study, I only looked at 68 factory documentation and no other years. I only looked at the C body dealer data books options lists where it makes no mention of name brands of different shifters only format (column shift 3 spd vs floor shift 4 spd). So if there was a factory change that included the light during the production run, I guess that was not included.

By quick study, I only looked at 68 factory documentation and no other years. I only looked at the C body dealer data books options lists where it makes no mention of name brands of different shifters only format (column shift 3 spd vs floor shift 4 spd). So if there was a factory change that included the light during the production run, I guess that was not included.
In late 68 Mopar changed back to Hurst due to problems with the inland (to my understanding) I have 1 numbers matching 68 4spd convertible with the light, had not realized that my other Fury also had the same light. That is why I had the question. I'm almost home I will be checking my Manual's when I get there.

Back