505 Build

Anybody that's standin' next to that Puppy when you fire it up iz gonna know theirz something ah bit "lumpy" in there, lol. I went with one of Mothers Purple Shafts that if I remember rite waz .496X.296X.296. Drove it down to Norwalk, Ohoho one September and friendz couldn't believe I had no plans to run it down the 1320'. I just wanted to watch a Car-Bud Brake into the '9s with hiz Shelby '86 GLHS WHICH HE DID. WHAT AH TRIP, Jer

Is that the cam you are going to use?
yeppers, that's what is in it. Paul (my builder) refers to it as a small cam. Paul's shop has been in several engine dyno tests for Mopar Muscle and Car Craft. I have known him since 2011.

yeppers, that's what is in it. Paul (my builder) refers to it as a small cam. Paul's shop has been in several engine dyno tests for Mopar Muscle and Car Craft. I have known him since 2011.
Smsll cam? OOOKAY? You've gotta go with someone you know and trust. I give my spare change to ah pal named Eric at Muscle Motors up in Lansing, Mi. The guy iz an artist az iz hiz whole crew, Jer

Smsll cam? OOOKAY? You've gotta go with someone you know and trust. I give my spare change to ah pal named Eric at Muscle Motors up in Lansing, Mi. The guy iz an artist az iz hiz whole crew, Jer
Jer, his quote, not mine. in a month we will see how it dyno's. I really liked standing outside his shop listening to the dyno on a pull. The tightasses in Tigard did not like his shop and the unmuffled dyno, so, off to McMinnville.

I believe that cam is going to give you vacuum problems. It will affect power brakes for sure if you have them.

This cam advertised duration is 274/282 and 224 and 230 @50 duration,so it isn't big, especially in a 500".

I just did a quick search and a stock 440 cam
The HP 375 HP cam specs:
268/284 Duration, 0.450"/0.458" lift, 46 degrees overlap (115 LSA), installed at 113 Intake CL.

From my limited understanding, it's a roller, it's not apples to apples.
Should have Cummins-like torque?
The TF 240s flow really good down low, going to be a really interesting build. Can't wait to see the numbers.

Hey OP, what kinda induction system will you be running?

Jer, his quote, not mine. in a month we will see how it dyno's. I really liked standing outside his shop listening to the dyno on a pull. The tightasses in Tigard did not like his shop and the unmuffled dyno, so, off to McMinnville.
Not questioning what waz said Moseman or who said it. I've always figured that any thing over .500 lift waz gonna cause vacuum issues. That why I stayed just under that and ran the biggest valves that would fit side by side. And 2X550 cfm carters settin' on top of short cross rams with J+K cast iron headers. Ran like hell but couldn't pass a gas station, lol. 5800lbs with me behind the wheel and full tank so it it wasn't ah street brawler but it would lite 'um up up to 'bout 40 MPH any time I wanted to. And I took it up to 'bout 125 ah couple timez and it waz still climbin' and I had peddle left but my better self said no Jer.

A couple of factors go into the amount of vacuum at idle, lobe separation angle, duration. My understanding is the lift doesn't effect it as much as the other 2. The roller will act tamer than a flat tappet and more cubes make a big cam tamer also. Either way I can't wait to hear it on the dyno, you are going to video it for us? Right???

I had that cams big brother in my 505/512 with a similar setup to yours, it had plenty of vacuum for the brakes, but suffered other problems that comp cams thumbed their noses at. So i went with a custom cam from straub tech. WARNING graphic roller lifter failure pictures.

Comp cams hydraulic roller lifter failure

And my fix for the comp cam failure

505 ci Build

A couple of factors go into the amount of vacuum at idle, lobe separation angle, duration. My understanding is the lift doesn't effect it as much as the other 2. The roller will act tamer than a flat tappet and more cubes make a big cam tamer also. Either way I can't wait to hear it on the dyno, you are going to video it for us? Right???

Mainly it´s the LSA.

I'm really interested in your build as I am doing a very similar build. Mine is a 512 stoker with 4.25 stroke Eagle crank, Eagle 7.100 H beam rods and Diamond Racing 9.6 CR pistons, block is .060 over 69 440. I went with a Howards Roller cam.

Hydraulic Roller Camshaft; 1959 - 1980 Chrysler 383-440 2000 to 6200 Howards Cams 720555-12 | Howards Cams.

Mainly for the 112 lobe separation angle and should idle like a stocker, but with 282/288 adv duration and 229/235 @.050 and .520/.530 lift. It should pull hard to 5500 easy spec for 6200 rpm but I never really wound up my previous 440 past 5500. My goal is an easy 650lb torque with 91 octane gas. I have a full TTI 3in exhaust and headers for mine. I'm now working on the top end. I have 440 Source stealth heads that were on my 440 for the past 9 years and may just replace them with the TF 240 just as you have. Also do you know what head gaskets did you go with? Fel Pro or Cometic?

bajajoaquin, Those Headers came standard on ALL 400 production copy's of the 1963 J300 and optional for extra $ on the 1964 Ram K300... They added 'bout 40lbs on each side and the only Cast Iron Headers(by Mother Mopar of course)that would out preform them were the ones She Produced for the early Max Wedge Hemis called Tri-Y's that she marketed in '62 and '63 before the 426 Hemi came out in '64. You might try Goggling them. I've had two sets of the '63-'64s. One set I bought were on a completely rusted out '64 Ram K300 just to get them and the cross Ramz for my Batwagon. The other set I bought az a spare set form ah Car-Bud in Montana. Another Car-Bud in Philadelphia found out I had the 2nd set and beat me half to death with hiz check book 'til I agreed to sell them to him. They now reside on hiz 1960 300F convertible, lol. The Only set I ever laid eye'z on of the Try-Y's were on a resurrected '62 or '63 factory racer in Building T ah few yearz back at Chrysler's at Carlisle. Most racers would scrap the Try-Y's for After Market bent headerz 'cuz the Try-Y's just added too much weight. Today those headerz are likely all in Museum's carz somewhere. Your best bet of ever seeing the '63-'64 J-K Headerz iz to find an existing 300J to look at. G.L. with your search, Jer

Last edited:
bajajoaquin, Those Headers came standard on ALL 400 production copy's of the 1963 J300 and optional for extra $ on the 1964 Ram K300... They added 'bout 40lbs on each side and the only Cast Iron Headers(by Mother Mopar of course)that would out preform them were the ones She Produced for the early Max Wedge Hemis called Tri-Y's that she marketed in '62 and '63 before the 426 Hemi came out in '64. You might try Goggling them. I've had two sets of the '63-'64s. One set I bought were on a completely rusted out '64 Ram K300 just to get them and the cross Ramz for my Batwagon. The other set I bought az a spare set form ah Car-Bud in Montana. Another Car-Bud in Philadelphia found out I had the 2nd set and beat me half to death with hiz check book 'til I agreed to sell them to him. They now reside on hiz 1960 300F convertible, lol. The Only set I ever laid eye'z on of the Try-Y's on a resurrected '62 or '63 factory racer in Building T ah few yearz back at Chrysler's at Carlisle. Most racers would scrap the Try-Y's for After Market bent headerz 'cuz the Try-Y's just added too much weight. Today those headerz are likely all in Museum's carz somewhere. Your best bet of ever seeing the '63-'64 J-K Headerz iz to find an existing 300J to look at. G.L. with your search, Jer
Actually Jer I think the tri-ys we're to satisfy NASCAR and they relented pretty early to allow the use of headers, resulting in Ma Mopar-1 Bill France-0 not the last time she would call his bluff!
You are right they are like hens teeth. The other real high upswept ones from 63-64 are being reproduced, but you better get your gold card out for them. Coated TTIs will be much cheaper at that point.

Actually Jer I think the tri-ys we're to satisfy NASCAR and they relented pretty early to allow the use of headers, resulting in Ma Mopar-1 Bill France-0 not the last time she would call his bluff!
You are right they are like hens teeth. The other real high upswept ones from 63-64 are being reproduced, but you better get your gold card out for them. Coated TTIs will be much cheaper at that point.
Thanks Dave. I know that bluff calling thing too Pal. And their weren't many sets made, and I can't and won't argue with that. Hope to see you there this year My Friend, Jer

Thanks Dave. I know that bluff calling thing too Pal. And their weren't many sets made, and I can't and won't argue with that. Hope to see you there this year My Friend, Jer
Yep looks like we may come down to your neck of the woods again this summer (early June) and see you this year at Carlisle.
The tri-ys are a thing of beauty. They are so cool looking you can actually see how they would work so well. Definite museum pieces.

Back