509 vs custom

Last edited:
Yes I found your post , wasn't hard to do. Typically I dont search for your words of wisdom before I ask a question. I feel better knowing you try to insult everyone you answer though.... good day

I'll be nice and ask, did you learn anything, if so, what? There's also tons of info about the 509 cam, you just have to dig and find it. Good Luck

I'll be nice and ask, did you learn anything, if so, what? There's also tons of info about the 509 cam, you just have to dig and find it. Good Luck

From your snide remarks , nada.
From some of the other post I confirmed my suspicions and I'm thankful some people take the time to answer in a non critical fashion.
I wasnt in the market for the 509 never have been but the specs on the cam ground by bullet seem to be similar (except it's a roller). If the roller doesnt act differently i dont think I'll be happy. If the idle and vacuum is decent for brakes and steering while also having enough torque at the bottom I'll be happy. It would seem I need a looser convertor ( which is what I had suspected ) I was hoping to stay with the 3.91 gears . I guess we will see how it acts.

A takeaway I would give is that flat tappet and roller cams are very different and even if some of the advertised specs look similar they will be very different in operation

I am sorry if this has been stated before,,I looked around in other posts and topics and couldn't find an answer.
What do you want this car to do? Street strip car? Strip only? Specific et area at the strip? Do you want lopey idle or smooth enough for power brakes? Any highway driving to events? Not trying to be a smart *** but I see all this great tech info flying around but haven't seen what the specific end goal for the car is in detail.
Very interesting topic.

Thanks . Nope I dont think it was discussed yet.
Car will very seldom be driven on a track though if one opens near me I would go more often, currently it's about a 2.5 hr run . Typically the car will be a weekend run kinda car though I plan on running it to work whenever the weather is good.
I would say street strip is the best description of what I would like to do.
But I will drive it whenever weather is decent and usually less than a 20 mile run. Bringing the kids for Italian iced and to car shows will be its usual duties though it must handle a flogging

I love a raspy cam as much as the next guy but I do have power brakes / steering and the fitech which I think is why we went with the 112 OL
If I could run in the 12s I think I'll be tickled pink.

Personally I think your exact expectations should come first and build the engine around those expectations. That way you have a coordinated package to meet that goal.

It seems your goals contradict each other.

Street car never going to the strip, but would love to run a 12. A well built mild street car engine in these cars is going to run high 15's at best with the typical 2.73 or 3.23 gear for comparison.

It seems your goals contradict each other.

Street car never going to the strip, but would love to run a 12. A well built mild street car engine in these cars is going to run high 15's at best with the typical 2.73 or 3.23 gear for comparison.

Currently the strip is a 2.5 hr run without traffic plus some of the worst pot holes I've ever seen and about 40$ in tolls ,trailering would be way worse. Long Island Need A Dragstrip has been working to get a strip about 20 min from home. If it gets approval, I plan to be a regular.

Those dopey online calculators give me high expectations/hopes. I may never be done tinkering & I'm cool with that. I'm just hoping the bb has a better bottom end then the small block.
Actually I would love to do something similar as you've done to your Fury. But the pocketbook hasn't allowed me at the moment.
If I remember correctly yours is a turbo 383 ?

Yes.
$800 in piping and fittings
Originally $300 in turbos, now $1000
Stockish 383 that was in it $0
Efi $1500 or so over time.
Lots of time.

You are not going to run 12's unless you have 4:10 gears and drag radials or Nitrous.

Suggest you talk to someone like Dwayne Porter at Porter Racing Heads,

South Burlington, VT 05403-4442

(802) 951-1955

He does a lot of work for cars running in the FAST type drag racing series and he can probably give you some guidance.

You are not going to run 12's unless you have 4:10 gears and drag radials or Nitrous.

Suggest you talk to someone like Dwayne Porter at Porter Racing Heads,

South Burlington, VT 05403-4442

(802) 951-1955

He does a lot of work for cars running in the FAST type drag racing series and he can probably give you some guidance.
I dont know about that, my car has similar heads, smaller hydraulic roller cam, and only 3.23 gears and 65 more cubic inches, and it runs 12.20's

Last edited:
If you want 12.90 second performance in a 440 without the 4.10s, 4000 stall converter and all the driveability compromises a big lumpy cam brings to the table, you need to consider a stroker kit and some good cylinder heads.

I built my 9:1 493 with the MP509 108 LSA cam. 53 extra cubes mitigated some of the downsides of all that duration and overlap from the tight LSA.

It idled pig rich and rough at 1100, about the same as it would in a 383 or a 440. Lousy vacuum for the power brakes and was not EFI friendly for the technology of the day (Holley 950 Commander Pro) but it made good torque from off idle and was over 500 ft/lbs from 2000 rpm to 5300. Peak was 600 ft/lbs at 4000.

It drove "ok" with the stock converter but was a pain around town with the 1100 RPM idle and 2.76 gears, on the brakes all the time and the big bang every time you went from P to D. I put in a 2800 converter to soften up the engagement.

Went 13.92 at 101 at 4800 lbs through the mufflers. 2.76SG with a no traction 2.26 60 foot time. The dyno showed enough steam for a 12.90 but the dyno run was with full length headers and it was in the car with shorties and full exhaust.

I would not use that cam again for that application. Something similar to the MP528 specs but in a hydraulic flat tappet would be my choice. It has a wide 114 LSA to make the overlap number a little more bottom end friendlier.

I had since changed out the 2.76 for a 3.23 and it made the engine happier to run at posted speed limits. Never got back to the track with it.

I think with a good set of headers, traction and the 3.23s, there should have been a 12.99 in it.

Kevin

I dont know about that, my car has similar heads, smaller hydraulic roller cam, and only 3.23 gears and 65 more cubic inches, and it runs 12.20's
The big question is, What's the weight differential between the 2 cars?

To the OP. Have you read any of these articles? They might help pointing you in the right direction? You can't have a street car with racing characteristics, you'll be extremely unhappy with the end results! I've already told you that and others are too! Good Luck
Hughes Engines

The big question is, What's the weight differential between the 2 cars?

To the OP. Have you read any of these articles? They might help pointing you in the right direction? You can't have a street car with racing characteristics, you'll be extremely unhappy with the end results! I've already told you that and others are too! Good Luck
Hughes Engines
Mine weight 4767lbs

Back