Purple Cam question

Years ago I was told by Dulcich, a COMP XE265HL would work well with the combo I had, they don't make that cam any longer. I did get the XE275XL, and some Hughes lifters, basically given to me a year or so later. They still have that cam in their catalog. I have too many cams for the engines I plan on building, but at least I have some selection.
They'll custom grind anything you want. If that cam is optimized for your build, order it but I would talk to somebody like Dwayne Porter to get it right. I wouldn't put any stock in what some tech line gremlin tries to sell you.

Kevin

They'll custom grind anything you want. If that cam is optimized for your build, order it but I would talk to somebody like Dwayne Porter to get it right. I wouldn't put any stock in what some tech line gremlin tries to sell you.

Kevin
I'm still learning about cams, I remember being told and hearing, build/base your engine around your cam. I'm fortunate to know of some builds that are proven, so I can be that guy who just has to order parts.

Dulcich has also said that if you're on the fence with two different cams, is to pick the smaller one. You'll be much happier!

I'm still learning about cams, I remember being told and hearing, build/base your engine around your cam. I'm fortunate to know of some builds that are proven, so I can be that guy who just has to order parts.

That's sorta kinda true. Figure out EXACTLY what you need the engine to do and then choose the cam accordingly. It gets tricky with street cars tho. If you want to build a 383 that will run 10's in a 300 Slabside but still idle at 700 with 18" of vacuum, there isn't a cam in the world that can make that happen.

If you're starting from scratch, the biggest bang for the buck is a stroker kit, a big one with the best heads you can afford.

There is no replacement for displacement and it let's you use a much milder cam to accomplish tire roasting Nirvana. Lol

Kevin

Ross:

Here is the cam I'm using in my '66 300 convertible (No. 21-222-4). It is advertised by Comp to work well with 3.23 gears and provides good vacuum. It has worked out well for me - has excellent throttle response and I too am running 516 heads:

View attachment 545117
Also known as the Extreme Energy XE262H. I believe that is one size smaller than the XE268H I am running in my 451 stroker.

On a new build I would recommend staying away from Comp lifters. The speed shop where I recently purchased a (Comp) cam recommended Crower lifters. I'm much happier with those than the Comp ones that were in the engine before that.

That's sorta kinda true. Figure out EXACTLY what you need the engine to do and then choose the cam accordingly. It gets tricky with street cars tho. If you want to build a 383 that will run 10's in a 300 Slabside but still idle at 700 with 18" of vacuum, there isn't a cam in the world that can make that happen.

Kevin
It's called boost :lol:

Since the general opinion is that the factory cam for 1966 is a little too mild, I can quite easily bump it up to the 1969 spec 440 high performance cam the factory used
Best cam I ever used in both 383s and 440s. Factory 383HP and 440Hp 68-70 cam. Crane made a Blueprint series at one time that was a duplicate. Great torque, great HP, great vacuum for power brakes. Probably wouldn't hurt to install an adjustable double roller timing chain set, and maybe advance the cam 2 degrees.

Hey All,

I recently got a really decent deal on a Purple cam - according to the guy I bought it from, it's part # P5007 697

It has these numbers on the shank:

View attachment 544310 I think it says 1103

I've been able to find out that this cam apparently has the following specs, but I could be wrong. Can anyone please confirm:

Intake Duration @ 050 Inch Lift 241
Exhaust Duration @ 050 Inch Lift 241
Advertised Intake Duration 284
Advertised Exhaust Duration 284
Intake Valve Lift with factory rocker ratio 0.484”
Intake Valve Lift with factory rocker ratio 0.484”
Lobe Separation in degrees 114

What I CANNOT find out for the life of me is whether or not this is a cam that would be good for a 440 in a heavy C body with an automatic - will it have good low end torque? I want to use it in a near stock configuration - 516 heads, factory intake, dual exhaust through factory manifolds. I don't need a high winder, but rather something that idle decently, and will be a stump puller off the line - fry the tires putting my foot in it at the stoplight... I want torque...

Thanks all!
Revised centerline for improved street drivability. Specs you have are for verbatim out of the Mopar Performance Catalog.

Well if you can't come here LOL . I will start a new thread in a few days and make a video with a cam idling and tailpipe sound. And do a video of running through the gears first and second.
posted a video in general discussions how to build a street 440 in a c-body cruiser, watch the tach tells a lot about the cam from idle to 5200 rpms

Back