518 transmission pan on a 727

moonrunner1972

Reaction score
Hello folks,

I have taken the advice from the previous thread regarding transmission pan leakage and decided to install an OEM 518 pan on my 727. For those of you out there that may not have read my previous ramblings I attempted to solve the pan leak problem with a $99 Summit Racing deep aluminum pan. I figured that the new pan would seal better for two reasons:

1. The pan is made of the same material as the transmission case

2. The pan was brand new

I soon found out that the small leak had now turned in to a huge red lake underneath my car. Needless to say my wife had been less than impressed. :BangHead:

After reading the sage advice from another member of the forum I decided to use a factory pan without silicone sealant. So with that, I have decided to use a deeper 518 pan. Since I had already used an adapter to lower the pick up screen with the deep aluminum pan I would like to know if I can use this same adapter when I install the 518 pan? If you are still here after all of my ramblings then I greatly appreciate any advice, thanks. :sSig_thanks:

If the adapter you have was designed to work with the aftermarket pan you purchased, and both pans are the same depth one could assume that it should work. I personally would not use the filter adapter at all.

I haven't received the pan yet however I will definately measure the depth to make sure. Also I would like to know if I should use the stock pan bolts or use studs and nuts?

I have always used the stock bolts. Never had a problem.
Studs and nuts and washers, seems like an unnecessary hassle to me.

Hate studs.
Nut always gets frozen to them and when you go to take off the nut, the whole stud comes with it...
Yes, I know about Loctite, but...

Back