59 dodge input needed

rd92west

plan C
Reaction score
I stumbled upon this morsel at local wrecker. 60 dodge pioneer, poly push button auto.
Looks to be complete. Drivers door hinge is sprung. Body looks to be dent free and I didn't see any rust around the back wheels.
The owner is going to see if its froze down. I expect it is. But if he can move it I will go and look at the degree of rust underneath.
This would be my first venture into the FL cars.
Can anyone give me some pointers as to what years parts interchange. Also optional engines that were available. And any other pertinent info would be appreciated.
It does have a swivel drivers seat if that means anything.
The owner wants to trade the car for a few old massey tractors. Or sell outright for 1500 small dollars

20201203_165051.jpg

20201203_165002.jpg

Very cool, I hope you can save it. First step....obtain a monetary propulsion system.

WOW - these look best as a 2-dr. hardtop, which this is. Pioneers usually had a small block motor, but you could always source a 383 if you wanted something more potent. The swivel seat is amazingly cool.....

Not many around to judge a baseline $$$ price by, the chrome we can see looks pretty good, and it seems complete. As long as it isn't rusted out underneath, etc., $1500 is not a bad starting point. Definitely an ambitious project, but you'd have something special when done.

My massey tractors are just taking up room in the shed. Nothing fancy.
I'd wash the tree sap off it and worry about drivetrain. I have a few 383 and 440 laying around.
Are the pushbutton trans interchangeable with a 62 or 64 Chrysler? I have 2 big block trans.
This is all new to me.
First thing is I need to own it before I make to many plans

That's a humdinger for sure and I'd certainly save it. Based on the photos provided it doesn't look all that bad.

Go for it.......! Likely has a 318 poly and either a cast iron powerflight 2 speed or torqueflight 3 speed trans. Neither of which will bolt to a 62 or newer engine. You can use a later poly or small block engine, or use a big block. What you decide will determine which post 62 trans you'll need. 62 through 65 torqueflight trans are the cable shift type that you need to retain the push buttons.
60-61 Plymouth, Dodge, Desoto and Chrysler parts are largely interchangeable. The swivel seat is worth the asking price.
I have a door hinge thats yours for the postage if you need it.

Good luck, keep us in the loop.
Will.

Last edited:
If you decide to pass on it, please let me know. I have been looking for one of these.

IMHO this car should be saved weather you plan on fixing it or it gets passed on to someone else who will. The forward look era cars can be a real challenge to restore, mainly due to lack of parts availability and high cost of materials and services.
Also, the more modifications done the less the finished value. A correct interior is important to retain collector value and cost will rival body and paint work.

Go for it.......! Likely has a 318 poly and either a cast iron powerflight 2 speed or torqueflight 3 speed trans. Neither of which will bolt to a 62 or newer engine. You can use a later poly or small block engine, or use a big block. What you decide will determine which post 62 trans you'll need. 62 through 65 torqueflight trans are the cable shift type that you need to retain the push buttons.
60-61 Plymouth, Dodge, Desoto and Chrysler parts are largely interchangeable. The swivel seat is worth the asking price.
I have a door hinge thats yours for the postage if you need it.

Good luck, keep us in the loop.
Will.
And I have a 65 pb available not too far away should you want one of them (once the border opens again).

In manitoba we have a Ownership document. Or I guess a TOD transfer ownership document.
And yes it has one. There not that hard to get on anything that has been off the road for 25 years.
Polara 500, stopping in at your place is on my to do list.

hey 92 west. buy it, get it running or drop a running motor in it. make sure brakes and tires are new and make it safe to drive as is. leave the tree sap and all the years of patina, wash the windows. take the 40 grand or more you would spend on it and invest it and drive around with a smile on your face. the 40 grand you would have spent on it if invested properly will buy you one completely finished a few years from now and you wont be scouring scrap yards or the internet or forums for parts for the next ten years. [ not to mention the blood sweat and tears ] trust me. you will have more fun. cheers paul

The only thing that will kibosh the deal is massive rust underneath.
My plan exactly would be reliable powertrain suspension and electrical. And drive it. The smile is taken for granted.
I'll post more pictures when the guy gets it out of the zone

I must confess, I would wash the crud off it. Patina is one thing . Its just me but I draw the line at tree sap. I've seen cars with clear coat on tree sap. To each their own

You're welcome to visit - but I'll need a heads up if you want to take stuff away, I may need to remove some, or else bring your tools and we'll have fun.

Back