60 Dart Steering column removal

Sixpactogo

Reaction score
Looking for some leadership on removing the steering column on one of these cars? Does it require removing the steering gear assembly? I started by loosening the collar at the firewall and removed the boot around the column but how is the column separated from the gear itself? I couldn't find anything in the FSM on how it is done.

Might download a factory parts book from www.mymopar.com or www.jholst.net and look at the parts illustrations? Considering how most cars are assembled, the steering column goes in after the stub frame meets the body, with the steering gear and related front end items attached to it?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

It’s not very easy. Especially with motor trans and front clip on.
Remove horn ring and steering wheel.
Remove turn signal switch.
Disconnect column wiring
Remove C clip on main shaft
Remove bolts on mid section column
Remove rubber firewall seal
Slide column off main shaft
There will be a fork with flat slot that has roll pin to be removed.
Brake booster,lines and lots of stuff in the way.
I can post pics if needed as I have several that I’m changing sub frames on right now

It’s not very easy. Especially with motor trans and front clip on.
Remove horn ring and steering wheel.
Remove turn signal switch.
Disconnect column wiring
Remove C clip on main shaft
Remove bolts on mid section column
Remove rubber firewall seal
Slide column off main shaft
There will be a fork with flat slot that has roll pin to be removed.
Brake booster,lines and lots of stuff in the way.
I can post pics if needed as I have several that I’m changing sub frames on right now
I have the service manual but it is not real clear how to remove the column. What started this is I believe that rubber spacer down in the fork area has worn out. I got a new one and thought I would replace it. So...It sounds like the column has to come off of the shaft in order to get to the fork area. I saw those roll pins in the FSM and was wondering how to expose them. Looks like a bigger job than I expected. Thanks for your help. I took the front seat out to get a broken spring fixed and figured it was a good time to replace that rubber spacer.

I mean this cotter pin,not roll pin.
Guys sometimes have steering boxes rebuilt
when all they really had to do is replace the rubber
bushing

49091176-A6E0-47AB-B968-C7F97E17A922.jpeg

bushing

View attachment 564384
I got it apart. Mine has the roll pin. There was also about a half cup of PS oil that ran out on the floor when I pulled the column off. That upper seal must be leaking some. I have never had any oil leaking from the unit before so I'm not real sure it is something else I should deal with. My steering problem was not too much play in the steering but it was a side to side rattle when I would go over a bump or rail road track. I can see from my old bushing why that was happening. I also found the copper horn ground is broken off. The horn worked so I'm not sure that is needed but I think I may try to make a new one since that PN is no longer available. Here are a couple pics of mine.

100_0643.JPG

100_0644.JPG

100_0645.JPG

100_0646.JPG

Last edited:
bushing

View attachment 564384
Well, I decided I'd better fix that leak. It is the upper shaft seal. I am wondering if I should have it rebuilt as long as it is already out. Do you recommend just replacing that seal or have the whole unit gone through? If so, any recommendations as to where to send it?

Well, I decided I'd better fix that leak. It is the upper shaft seal. I am wondering if I should have it rebuilt as long as it is already out. Do you recommend just replacing that seal or have the whole unit gone through? If so, any recommendations as to where to send it?
I sent mine to firm feel steering for my 64 880 to upgrade it to a stage 2 feel.

Last edited:
Back