60 Dodge?

Personally, I thought the Polaras in 1960 were the ones to have:

View attachment 294996

Stunning good looks.

My thought has always been, the one to have was the Matador, I simply don't like the black trim over the headlamps on the Polara, not partial to the high end tinsel in General this one year only model Appeals to me more. Both cars look way cleaner as shown in your pic without the optional cheese grater trim on the quarter Panel.

Last edited:
Most interesting and that really is something I never heard about before. I guess Rambler didn't serve the market due to the undisputed use of the Rebel Name.
Ford had to christen the Mustang officially as the T5 in Germany because two manufacturers already had that Name saved over there.
---------

Don't know the nameplates used by Rambler in South Africa, but for the 108" wheelbase (and successors) Ramblers in the U.S. and Canada -

Rambler Six - 1958-1960
Rambler Classic Six - 1961-1966
AMC Rebel Six - 1967-1970
AMC Matador Six - 1971-1978

Rambler Rebel V8 - 1958-1960
Rambler Classic V8 - 1961-1966
AMC Rebel V8 - 1967-1970
AMC Matador V8 - 1971-1978

So Chrysler South Africa was using the Rebel name when AMC was not using it, at least in N.A. AMC did not have a subsidiary in South Africa at that time (only had Canada and UK), but did have have a licensed distributor owned business - Stanley Motors, Ltd. (S.D. Edmiston) in Johannesburg.

Back