62 300 brake upgrade

Mikec2

Reaction score
Hello everyone, hope you are all stayin healthy, looking for ideas and if anyone upgraded 62 chrysler brakes, they are power single master, but everybody has been in there. Looking for an upgrade dual master, disc setup . If possible mopar parts , kits I have seen ajm and classic brakes are 1500-2000 , hoping could do new mopar parts for less . any Ideas would be helpful Thanks again, take the vitamins and be healthy

You are in luck. I just got my Feb. 2022 copy of Mopar Action and they have an article on a new kit from Scarebird Brakes. It has all the pictures you need, but doesn't have a part number for the kit. It looks really nice, and you can use the 14" wheels. Good Luck.

Thanks for the heads up Traintech55. , i will look into Scarebird and Mopar action.

G'Day,
Possibly Stickin' My Nose in Here BUT, I Would Just Like to Make a Comment.
Many Years Ago I was Looking for a Disc Conversion for a 59 Custom Royal.
I Found Many who had Converted using Holden (A Local Mid Size GM Product) Discs Etc so as to keep 14" Wheels.
Also some Ford Falcon Set ups as Well. (Again a Mid Size Product)
I did a Lot of Asking as to How "Good" the Result was.
In the Majority of Cases the Reply I Received was Adequate to OK.
Now the Way I Figure It If You're going to Go to the Trouble and Expense the Result HAS to be &#@%&* AWESOME.
Not Much Point in Ending Up with a Honda Zot as a Bonnet Mascot.
Forgive Me, But, May I Suggest that You do LOTS of Research before Buying.
There are Two Things You Cannot Afford to Skimp on.
Tyres & Brakes,
Kind Regards, Tony.M

FMJ body ie 5th Ave spindles are supposed to swap in without a lot of drama. Use the B body Cordoba caliper adapters and you get the 11.75 rotors too.

All your replacement parts are at the corner parts store this way too.

Kevin

20211204_163307.jpg
I just got the kit for my 64 880, I went with the larger scare bird calipers. Everything so far is $526.00, have to mount everything to chk hose length and buy those. I have already upgraded to a dual master cylinder but might have to change that and add a adj valve for the rear brakes.

DSC02503.JPG

Last edited:
Great information. Thanks everyone,
I will definetely take my time and research. I had it at first show but the brakes were taking the fun out of driving.
F7BBEA73-CA1A-43FC-B948-2A008432D810.jpeg

Great information. Thanks everyone,
I will definetely take my time and research. I had it at first show but the brakes were taking the fun out of driving.

Do you know any history on your 300?

My father and I looked at an identical car for sale back in the mid eighties. It was in Feasterville, PA, which is about 45 miles from Hampton, NJ.

Jeff

6823F35B-7AA3-4BF7-849D-5204C05AEDCF.jpeg
5B5071AA-4A4D-40B1-8361-0A9DA8374C63.jpeg
5B5071AA-4A4D-40B1-8361-0A9DA8374C63.jpeg
I do know some history on car. Friend of mine saw car as a project. His Dad knew the owner. And as for sale in partially finished .The car is from PA then to Ny state. Then had 2 owners in Florida Then Connecticut is where i bought it from. Has a 440 HP motor in was restored years ago car is still very nice. Don’t think it was used much lots of small issues that would have kept it from being enjoyed. Most fixed now. I have had a couple people tell me they knew of car. Not sure what shape you saw car in back then , but would be cool if it was same car.

With all the work that's been done it's probably impossible to tell if it's the same car.

The one we looked was in pretty good condition at the time. It had been freshly painted, but I could see that there had been some work done on the rockers in front of the rear wheels. The interior was original and presentable. We took it on a short test ride and it ran and drove good. Still had a 383 in it.

The only distinguishing feature that I remember is that it had grill mesh from a Newport installed behind the 300 grill surround, so it had the Newport badge inside the upper right quadrant of the grill.

24346d2cd9439_hd_1962-chrysler-newport.jpg

Jeff

The asking price was $2300, which was a decent amount of money for an old car back then. By comparison, we had just bought a five year old, 24K mile 1978 New Yorker from a Cadillac dealer for $2850. That would have been 1983 or 84.

Jeff

Back