62 New Yorker pushbutton issue

Bauhausfan

Reaction score
So I take my girl out. R down the driveway and into D and off we go. I didn't notice that my R button didn't release. Noticed when I attempted to park her. Some guys gave me a push to get me in. I have since driven her back home and checked the transmission fluid level. It wasn't low. I did add a little to get me back to full. What do I need to check next?

The car was being restored and I have only had her back for 2 months. The restoration included a transmission and engine re-build. Thanks in advance.

Chrysler pushbutton Reverse pushed in with N.jpg

Check the alignment of the linkages between the push buttons and gearbox as at least the reverse linkage is misaligned.

Hopefully the gearbox hasn't been damaged, I'd check with those who restored her as their work, or those who reinstalled the gearbox should be guaranteed and necessary repairs covered under that guarantee.

Folks like Dave a Lux are experienced mechanics who can elaborate further, but I seem to recall there being lots of parts in the pushbutton system, and it being somewhat fiddly to align properly. I wish you and your car happy motoring once everything is properly aligned again.

There is a wheel where the cable ties into the transmission that is the size of a 50 cent piece and has holes around it. You can adjust it by taking out the bolt and turning clockwise or counter clockwise. FSM will explain it. I had to readjust mine after I had the transmission rebuild.

A couple of questions, did the reverse button work for the two months since you got it back and quit suddenly or was this the first time you had the car out? If it had been working and quit, probably the problem is not a cable adjustment, because once they are properly adjusted, they usually stay that way unless the cable breaks. As the car will still go into drive it is unlikely that the cable is broken. If this was the first trip out where you used the reverse, then the cable was not set properly by the shop that did the work.

I would think that a reputable shop would adjust the cable for you as this would be a no cost warranty repair, so take it back and explain the problem to them. The other problem could be that some small linkage part in the push button control has come lose or broken, in that case the push button unit may have to be disassembled and repaired, you would probably wind up paying for that type of repair unless the restoration shop also rebuilt the push button unit. These push button control units were normally very reliable and seldom broke, but it can happen after all these cars are now 55+ years old.

The good news is that a faulty cable or cable adjustment or bad push button unit will not usually damage the transmission, only disable one or more of the selector settings.

As noted above, the FSM gives detailed instructions on how to adjust the cable, but given the recent repairs, I would take it to the shop that did the repairs first and report back.

Dave

Not having any knowledge of the workings of that system, only seeing them work, I suspect there's an internal mechanism that only allows ONE button to be depressed/engaged at a time. An aunt and uncle had a '63 Polara and that's the way it was. One button depressed at a time. Push in a different button and the other one popped back out, which would move the cable to the appropriate position.

Make sure the bottom-side adjustments are where they need to be and go from there.

CBODY67

If you push N and it goes to neutral and it spits the D button back out and the rest of the buttons do what they are supposed to do when you select them, the problem is in the R part of the shifter mechanism. The R button has likely jumped over/past whatever it pushes on from misalignment. Something might have broke or bent.

Kevin

I just joined up ( chrysler nut) and I'm wondering if anyone has a rear drum puller that they no longer need. I was hoping to get a Les Fairbanks puller but they are not available anymore. I'm reading there are other pullers available in place of Mr. Fairbanks model but have not seen any. I live in Prince Edward Island in Canada.

Back