62' Newport wagon, Fuel tank sender-resistance range?

Vegas Nelson

Reaction score
I replaced the fuel tank sender on my 62' Newport wagon. The replacement was identical physically, and when I compared the resistance across the wire element of the new and old sender, both showed roughly 75-85 ohms from end to end. I could not compare the actual output resistance in operation because the old unit was mechanically inoperable, but physically it looked like it was working in a similar fashion.

My problem is, with the new sending unit installed, moving the float arm from empty to full only moves the gauge from empty to 1/2 tank. It moves through that range smoothly, but is just off by 50%. Is 0-85 ohms the correct resistance range for the 62'? The car had been sitting for a while, and my gauge was sticky at first, but seems to be getting better as it is used, but only operates in the 0-50% range so far. Anyone see this before?

Try some dielectric spray lube for the gauge. You may check it with a potentiometer, say, a 100 ohm one if that's not too hard to obtain. If you apply full voltage direct to the gauge, (6 V, not 12!) that should get it to go all the way to F.

Great, thank you. I will check it out when I have the dash apart to fit the new pad I have ordered.

Try some dielectric spray lube for the gauge. You may check it with a potentiometer, say, a 100 ohm one if that's not too hard to obtain. If you apply full voltage direct to the gauge, (6 V, not 12!) that should get it to go all the way to F.

Back