'65 300L question please - What does this look like?

69CoronetRT

Reaction score
I'm scanning the 1965MY Technical Service Bulletins and ran across this reference to 300Ls

What does the radiator grill light assembly look like in the day and at night? Is this a large or small lamp? What does the replacement lens look like?

Thanks.

65-08_01.jpg

This is mine. It's lit up a bit whiter because I'm using an LED bulb to keep the heat down and hopefully avoid cracking the new lens.

YHLZ1cM.jpg

R7Gu6w7.jpg

This is the reproduction lens and ring that the 300 club sells.

HT29cSa.jpg

With a yellow incandescent bulb. They often cracked and this was my original that I made into a refrigerator magnet.

kAadtCy.jpg

This is mine. It's lit up a bit whiter because I'm using an LED bulb to keep the heat down and hopefully avoid cracking the new lens.

View attachment 655967
View attachment 655968

This is the reproduction lens and ring that the 300 club sells.

View attachment 655969

With a yellow incandescent bulb. They often cracked and this was my original that I made into a refrigerator magnet.

View attachment 655970
Hey can you please give me more details on where to buy that reproduction lens? Mine is cracked exactly the same way yours is, apparently very common problem...
Thanks! Looks amazing and really cool idea for a refrigerator magnet, lol!

Hey can you please give me more details on where to buy that reproduction lens? Mine is cracked exactly the same way yours is, apparently very common problem...
Thanks! Looks amazing and really cool idea for a refrigerator magnet, lol!
The Chrysler 300 Club International sells them. Club Store

You'll have to join the club to buy though. That's because of licensing issues with Chrysler and really out of their control. It's a good organization with a lot of resources anyway.

The Chrysler 300 Club International sells them. Club Store

You'll have to join the club to buy though. That's because of licensing issues with Chrysler and really out of their control. It's a good organization with a lot of resources anyway.
Thanks for the heads up. Do you recall what you paid for that kit? I kinda hate joining for just that one piece but if its worth doing it, I might just join up.

Thanks for the heads up. Do you recall what you paid for that kit? I kinda hate joining for just that one piece but if its worth doing it, I might just join up.
Mine came with the car, so I don't know the price. They were listing prices before (don't know why they stopped) and it seems to me it was around $100, but I could be wrong.

Good Afternoon
Always liked the lighted grille. Thought is was a classy touch.
Liked it so much I 'borrowed' the idea for the lowly Newport.
OmniIMG_1180.JPGIMG_1650.JPG

Good Day All
This thread sparked a memory of an article about the center grille light.
The Dec 1985 issue of the WPC news had a write-up about the 300 L.
The article was written by a Peter F. Madsen and it outlined the trim and running gear of these cars. In the article he wrote: "From personal experience I'd like to comment on several of the trim pieces specific to the 300Ls that cause us problems in keeping up and restoring these last of the letter cars. First I'll mention the notorious 300L emblem on the grille. This little goodie comes equipped with a light that is wired to stay on whenever the ignition is on. The OEM bulbs were tiny little things that all burned out early on in the cars' lives, and most of them were replaced with a slightly larger single-filament light bulb that conveniently fit the socket. Unfortunately, these larger bulbs generate enough heat to crack the clear plastic "L" emblem."

While this doesn't solve the problem, it a least sheds some light as to why they cracked.
I have looked in the service and owners manuals, but have not found a listing as to what number the original bulb was.
If nothing else this is useless trivia.
Omni

Good Day All
This thread sparked a memory of an article about the center grille light.
The Dec 1985 issue of the WPC news had a write-up about the 300 L.
The article was written by a Peter F. Madsen and it outlined the trim and running gear of these cars. In the article he wrote: "From personal experience I'd like to comment on several of the trim pieces specific to the 300Ls that cause us problems in keeping up and restoring these last of the letter cars. First I'll mention the notorious 300L emblem on the grille. This little goodie comes equipped with a light that is wired to stay on whenever the ignition is on. The OEM bulbs were tiny little things that all burned out early on in the cars' lives, and most of them were replaced with a slightly larger single-filament light bulb that conveniently fit the socket. Unfortunately, these larger bulbs generate enough heat to crack the clear plastic "L" emblem."

While this doesn't solve the problem, it a least sheds some light as to why they cracked.
I have looked in the service and owners manuals, but have not found a listing as to what number the original bulb was.
If nothing else this is useless trivia.
Omni
The repop from the 300 club has the correct bulb, but I can't remember what it is right now. I decided to use the LED because of just this issue. It doesn't generate the heat and draws less current too.

It is a little too "white" for lack of a better term, and one of these days I'll try to find an LED bulb that mimics the yellower color of the incandescent bulb.

Here's a bad pic of mine many years ago.
I did not know the emblem was to be illuminated, and discovered a wire hanging loose, and that it went to the emblem.

I disconnected it afterward as I thought it looked a little goofy.

1714239775243.png

Back