65-66 Chrysler Map Light circuit strangeness

darth_linux

Reaction score
66 Chrysler Newport 2 door hardtop

Just yesterday I repaired the completely ripped apart map light wiring and got the map light working again, but I'm not sure it's behaving as intended. Here's what it does:

OPEN EITHER DOOR: map light and c-pillar courtesy lights turn on (map light switch is OFF)
TURN HEADLAMP SWITCH FULL LEFT: map and c-pillar courtesy lights turn on (map light switch is OFF)
TURN MAP LIGHT SWITCH "ON": c-pillar courtesy lights turn on, map light does NOT turn on

It seems like the map light switch itself is bad, but stills flows current to the bulb when the door jamb and/or headlamp switch sends current. But if it's bad, how does it trigger the C-pillar lights to come on but not that map light itself? It makes no sense to me . . .

What say you all? Or is this the designed behavior of the map light?

You can see photos in post #43 of this post ('66 Newport 2 Door hardtop) the map light is on while the switch is off because the door was open, but in the following picture the light is off while the map light switch is ON.

Last edited:
Everything is normal, except the last item. The map light "switch on" should only light the map light, not the other interior lights mentioned. Maybe a crossed wire or something?

Everything is normal, except the last item. The map light "switch on" should only light the map light, not the other interior lights mentioned. Maybe a crossed wire or something?
Yeah I guess . . . there were only 2 terminals and both had yellow wires going to them but were torn off. I looked at the wiring diagram but couldn't determine the proper orientation as the switch has 3 bungs but only 2 had a wire, both the same color. So I just guessed.

I supposed I'll unsolder, swap locations and resolder . . . thanks for the tip!

yep, just looked at the FSM instead of my one-page quick and dirty wiring diagram and indeed I have the two wires reversed. The FSM showed the 3 terminals in correct orientation whereas the cheap diagram did not. Not using that thing anymore . . . time to bust out the soldering iron, again.

Swapping the wires fixed it!

77048959-EFAF-4AEC-A113-64646D1709F1.jpeg

B479CBD2-EDF2-4FA5-A7C2-BC2986FB8AE5.jpeg

Back