65 Chrysler rag joint to u-joint- which one?

If you don't wanna swap exhaust manifolds, speedway motors carries a ton of steering parts. if you have to cut the shaft anyway theres several options for attaching it. I always hated the rag joints, like theres not enough slop in the steering already... hell you could put in a collapsible steering shaft while you're at it to avoid having a pentastar imprinted in your chest after a head on... happened to me with an old chevy truck and they had to cut the column to get me out. I lawn-darted it off a dune at way too fast and woke up with a straight six next to me and my buddies dad sawzalling the column. Not Fun

That would make sense. Of course first I would have to convince TCI to exchange my head pipes for original style. But then I wouldn't be able to say I have a 413 with hi-po exhaust manifolds. If that were the case I might as well drive a nova with a straight six. The hi-pi manifolds were just something I wanted to have. Any time you change something from original there will be additional changes you probably will have to make. You do this for the sake of change. My original question was if anyone had used the u-joint replacement for the rag joint. Since I now possess one of these mythical creatures I will install it. When it is installed I will let anyone who is curious know what it takes to install it. I will also still have my 413 with hi-pi manifolds and the nova can rust in peace.

LOL a guy on counting cars told them he wanted something different... and they built him a 70 Nova... Fail

20131029_165158.jpg
another view showing the wretched exhaust manifold

20131029_165158.jpg

I agree. They can't make THAT much more power to have to deal with that nonsense.

I respectfully disagree... I have to admit, the hi-po manifolds look pretty cool and if that comes at a cost of increased steering stability Im all for it.

Actually it was fake as hell and wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy overpriced, but it did look and go nice.....

When I think "something different" with cars that usually removes almost all GM products

Is there any wiggle room still available at the three mounting bolts where the column attaches to the floor? Of course, too much can really dick up the steering wheel angle.

That would make sense. Of course first I would have to convince TCI to exchange my head pipes for original style. But then I wouldn't be able to say I have a 413 with hi-po exhaust manifolds. If that were the case I might as well drive a nova with a straight six. The hi-pi manifolds were just something I wanted to have. Any time you change something from original there will be additional changes you probably will have to make. You do this for the sake of change. My original question was if anyone had used the u-joint replacement for the rag joint. Since I now possess one of these mythical creatures I will install it. When it is installed I will let anyone who is curious know what it takes to install it. I will also still have my 413 with hi-pi manifolds and the nova can rust in peace.

**** I like you already. My suggestion, since it's not original, or even if it was for Christ sake, take the manifold off and grind the flange for clearance Clarence. Or go with the u-joint as you asked about. The only issue as others have brought up is the non collapsible steering column, but you have that either way so... Just do it man.

Back