65 Fury disc brake conversion advice

Continued...
5. 4. Buy a QUALITY flare nut wrench for the lines. The K Line and Harbor Freight ones will just round off the fittings. Amazon sells a good Williams one for about $11. Even though my car is from Arizona, it took this plus a Mapp torch to get the lines off the old metering valve.
https://www.amazon.com/Williams-10600-Flare-Wrench-16-Inch/dp/B007YR921K
6. The 1973 InLine Tube lines from the master cylinder will not fit with a Bendix booster, it is much deeper, FYI.
7. As Ross recommends, I used the 68 Charger master cylinder referenced, sourced from the Ram Man in Texas. A character, but the part works.
8.I used all of the new part numbers Ross listed, bearings, caliper pins, etc. All fit well.
I still need to modify and install the AutoPilot rod, and bleed to brakes once more (silicone fluid) but this car now stops SO much better. Thanks for all the tips on this thread.
Mark
20200516_150637.jpg

Caveat Emptor The RamMan too. Google is your friend.

Kevin
RamMan never called back. I left at least three messages. Very clear ENGLISH. lol But, no matter, Booster Steve called me back. Actually, it was Audrey, but, he called afterward. Booster Steve is the only call you need to make. I'll update at the end. Thank you for your warning. Happy 4th! God bless our country.

Google the major Mopar forums for RamMan reviews. Very few positive ones.

You need to figure out what calipers SSBC used. If they are a re purposed GM OEM, you could reverse engineer it by using the spec for whatever booster and master cylinder was used on the car the calipers were used on originally. This has always been the problem with SSBC kits. They just box up a bunch of parts based on how they fit the car instead of will they actually work together.

Is your car a column shift or console shift? A factory disc master cylinder and booster should make more than enough pressure to energize those brakes. If you have a column shift car, you are limited to the earlier tandem booster because the later one interferes with the shift linkage. If you have a console shift, the later boosters will fit the car without interference and there are a gazillion of them out there compared to the earlier one.

Kevin
Hello, Kevin,
I found I have SSBC aluminum Mustang calipers ('65-'67) with MC A-Body '73-'76 with 1-1/32 bore. I did get the dual diaghram
booster from Booster Steve. (I like him!). Background: 4-disc kit (A154-2 and rear A155) installed 2006 on '66-300 with console
shift. Midland-Ross booster. Drove three years. 'Never could lock up anything like I did with drums (played with prop vlve).
Car on blocks for ten years; did not drain brakes. 2020 installed booster/SS lines all around/flush all(fluid looked new)/flows well/ bleed both two-man and vacuum to be sur no air. Bench bled in 2006 and air never got in/never drained the bowls. Booster tests all show booster good and strong. Retains vacuum with engine off for long time. 15 inches Hg. Tested on drive way. Car stops better than before (10 years), but, 20-30 MPH in neighborhood still cannot stop on a dime, killing the pedal. Back calipers std float types (Lincoln '88-'91) seem to have more wear than fronts - still practically new. 2 qts of fluid, later... Front pads hardly wear. Am I in denial of a bad MC from the very beginning? Any recommendations? Thank you.

Hello, Kevin,
I found I have SSBC aluminum Mustang calipers ('65-'67) with MC A-Body '73-'76 with 1-1/32 bore. I did get the dual diaghram
booster from Booster Steve. (I like him!). Background: 4-disc kit (A154-2 and rear A155) installed 2006 on '66-300 with console
shift. Midland-Ross booster. Drove three years. 'Never could lock up anything like I did with drums (played with prop vlve).
Car on blocks for ten years; did not drain brakes. 2020 installed booster/SS lines all around/flush all(fluid looked new)/flows well/ bleed both two-man and vacuum to be sur no air. Bench bled in 2006 and air never got in/never drained the bowls. Booster tests all show booster good and strong. Retains vacuum with engine off for long time. 15 inches Hg. Tested on drive way. Car stops better than before (10 years), but, 20-30 MPH in neighborhood still cannot stop on a dime, killing the pedal. Back calipers std float types (Lincoln '88-'91) seem to have more wear than fronts - still practically new. 2 qts of fluid, later... Front pads hardly wear. Am I in denial of a bad MC from the very beginning? Any recommendations? Thank you.

The front brakes are connected to the rear reservoir on the master cylinder and the rear brakes are connected to the front reservoir? Front brakes always connect to the larger reservoir.

Stock 67 Mustang disc master cylinder bore was 1" and was reduced to 15/16" in later years so you're at a disadvantage there. AR Engineering makes a 4 bolt to 2 bolt adapter that would allow you to run a Dodge Caravan master on it. They were 15/16" or 7/8" and would be a closer hydraulic match to those 4 piston calipers.

Kevin

Ok, here are a couple of pics of the kit from The Ram Man.
I have this all fitted, bled and tested and all I can say is that it works great. If what you want is fantastic stopping power with a boosted pedal pressure, this will work.
The parts I bought are:
  • Dual diaphragm Bendix type booster. Reman by The Ram Man.
  • Firewall reinforcement plate
  • Dual circuit master cylinder with bench bleed kit. Reman by The Ram Man.
  • Proportioning valve and metering valve
  • Flex hoses
  • Refurb big bearing disc spindles
  • Refurb large caliper brackets and bolts to take 11.75" rotors
  • Refurb single pot sliding pin calipers and pads
  • 11.75" rotors
  • Grease seals, grease caps, bearings, spindle retainer hardware
View attachment 129115

In addition to the above, I replaced my upper and lower ball joints, sway bar bushings, all tie rod ends and front and rear shocks with KYB's.
The LBJ's are not commonly available and are pretty expensive at $140/pair. Ship these to the UK and add tax and they cost me £180.
I bought all the UBJ, bushes, tie rod ends and shocks from Rock as they ship quickly to the UK. One thing to note here was that the new tie rods had a different thread to the originals but I had bought new sleeves too. The sleeves were about 4" too short so I had to split them and weld in a length of 3/4" solid bar.

Changing from drum/drum to disc/drum did require some modification of existing hard lines and making up new lines. I did re-use most of the original steel lines as they were in good condition and fitted with minor adjustments to some bends. The main changes were between the proportioning valve and the metering valve.
I sited my metering valve under the battery tray on the frame where I could easily re-use the front brake hard lines. I needed to make up a small L bracket to mount the metering valve.
A couple of the pipe nuts need changing to bigger 3/8 size. The worst part of the job was getting all the joints leak free. It took me nearly two days and I had to re-do the flares on a couple of the hard lines.
View attachment 129116

View attachment 129117

I did not use the firewall reinforcement plate that I had bought because the MC holes and the pedal assembly holes did not line up on my car. I had power drum brakes so I did have a plate on the car already and I modified this plate by enlarging the hole for the booster and then transferring this enlarged hole to the firewall. In the pic, the original plate is on the right.
I must say that the MC itself is a superb bit of kit. It's pricey but obviously high quality and very smooth in operation when I bench bled it.
View attachment 129118

View attachment 129119

The bracket on the replacement proportioning valve was slightly loose and I did manage to pull it off. A couple of whacks with a punch soon had it re-fitted tightly.

The only other fitment issue I had was that the calipers did not fit against the brackets and I was unable to fit the pins. I had to slightly relieve the casting on both brackets where the caliper slides up against them.
View attachment 129120

Here's a couple of pics of the brakes fitted.
View attachment 129121

View attachment 129122

The 13" flex hoses do fit but they are tight. I will probably change these for 15" in the near future.
After a couple of short spins around the yard, all I can say is that the braking is what you would expect from a factory fitted power disc system. It is so much better than the drums in terms of actual stopping power and pedal pressure required.

I hope this helps if you're looking for info on a disc swap. You could of course source the parts independently but for me being in the UK, it was easier to buy from a single source and reduce shipping costs.
Cheers
Did you install (bolt up) the proportioning valve to the fender? Looks like it but wanted to still ask because I'm going to install the same valve and meter to my '66 Fury.

Back