65 monaco transmission gasket

Db45

Reaction score
65 monaco trans leaks bad! Going to change the gasket this weekend. First time so any tips very appreciated! Wondering if I'll need to remove the cross member under the pan or if I can get the pan out without?

Thanks in advance mopar friends!!

Pan will come off without removing the cross member. Get a can of Brake Kleen and clean up the exterior of the transmission as best you can before removing the pan. If it is just a pan gasket, replacing it and the filter should fix the leak. Note that these transmissions sometimes also leak fro the shift assembly and from the Input shaft for the torque convertor. The o-ring around the front pump assembly sometimes will also leak. Check the pan for obvious dents or other damage. A lot of these leaked from over tightening the pan bolts. This dimples the area around the bolts to where the gasket does mate properly to the transmission case.

Dave

Dipstick tube O ring can leak too.

Assuming is a 727, a great pan gasket is Mopar Part #2464324AC. I know transmission builders that swear by them.

Pan will come off without removing the cross member. Get a can of Brake Kleen and clean up the exterior of the transmission as best you can before removing the pan. If it is just a pan gasket, replacing it and the filter should fix the leak. Note that these transmissions sometimes also leak fro the shift assembly and from the Input shaft for the torque convertor. The o-ring around the front pump assembly sometimes will also leak. Check the pan for obvious dents or other damage. A lot of these leaked from over tightening the pan bolts. This dimples the area around the bolts to where the gasket does mate properly to the transmission case.

Dave
Thanks man. I'll check those other seals while I'm under it. Maybe just replace them since I'm there anyway?

Dipstick tube O ring can leak too.

Assuming is a 727, a great pan gasket is Mopar Part #2464324AC. I know transmission builders that swear by them.
It is a 727. I've already purchased a felpro gasket.... good or bad???

Maybe just replace them since I'm there anyway?
65's can even make the appearance of leaking thru the cables. If I were you, I'd steam clean or similar if possible, and then try to identify the main cause before tearing into it. Not everything you may need is easy to lay your hands on.

It is a 727. I've already purchased a felpro gasket.... good or bad???
The Fel-Pro gasket is a black leathery looking thing... Correct? Probably all folded up in the box too?

The Mopar gasket is rubber and steel piece of goodness that will seal and can be reused. It's heads above the Fel-Pro gasket.

The Fel-Pro gasket is a black leathery looking thing... Correct? Probably all folded up in the box too?

The Mopar gasket is rubber and steel piece of goodness that will seal and can be reused. It's heads above the Fel-Pro gasket.
The felpro looks like a cork and rubber mix. It's not folded. Layed out on cardboard.

20230321_164152.jpg

20230321_164156.jpg

65's can even make the appearance of leaking thru the cables. If I were you, I'd steam clean or similar if possible, and then try to identify the main cause before tearing into it. Not everything you may need is easy to lay your hands on.
I'm doing it laying on my back under the car... going to give a brake clean wash as good as I can. Wish I had access to a liftaa going to drain all the fluid tonight and try to clean everything as good as I can. The add some fluid and see I can pinpoint other leaks.

Back