65 monaco A/C system

Db45

Reaction score
Any interest in the complete engine bay A/C system off my 65 Monaco? Also any suggestions on an idler pulley to replace the ac pulley?
Was told the A/C works when I bought the car , but leaks refrigerant. Never filled to confirm that so no guarantee.
I plan on removing everything involved under the hood soon. Going to keep the mounts on the front of the engine to make a idler pulley mount. Any suggestions on a good dual belt idler pulley appreciated.
Mopar on friends!!

20240222_171806.jpg

20240222_171809.jpg

20240222_171759.jpg

Are you referring to the idler pulley on the water pump belt? Sometime in the middle 1970s, Chrysler re-did the belt drive and used an idler pulley on the a/c/alternator dual belts. Unless you're thinking of going to a serpentine belt system, something like that might work and be salvage yard available? Possibly 1975-1978? Other things like power steering mounts would be different, due to the use of an AIR pump, which might affect the need for the newer mounting lugs on the block itself.

As for re-doing the underhood a/c system, check out the thread by TxDon when he did that on his '66 Monaco wagon. Plus where he sourced all of the parts to do it with.

CBODY67

Are you referring to the idler pulley on the water pump belt? Sometime in the middle 1970s, Chrysler re-did the belt drive and used an idler pulley on the a/c/alternator dual belts. Unless you're thinking of going to a serpentine belt system, something like that might work and be salvage yard available? Possibly 1975-1978? Other things like power steering mounts would be different, due to the use of an AIR pump, which might affect the need for the newer mounting lugs on the block itself.

As for re-doing the underhood a/c system, check out the thread by TxDon when he did that on his '66 Monaco wagon. Plus where he sourced all of the parts to do it with.

CBODY67
No. I'm talking about removing the A/C system and putting an idler pulley where the a/c was. The current 2 belts is the flywheel, alternator, and a/c . I plan on removing the ac and putting a pulley in that spot

The shroud on your 22" radiator is valuable. Much sought-after by those wishing to improve the cooling on their smaller rads.
That's good to know. No plans on getting rid of it in the near future, but I do believe a new radiator will be in this car at some point. It's a little crusty inside. Seems to cool fine though.

So - if you were closer I'd buy all the AC parts... but really (said with respect), why wouldn't you refurbish the AC? When the system is in good repair, it is truly EXCELLENT... so if it were me...

The system is quite simple - and finding leaks is quite simple too. If that's your only issue, then...

Leaks are typically found at 3 or 4 places:

1) a cracked hard line, which is repairable (or good used replacements are fairly easily found),

2) a soft line - any of the soft lines can be made new,

3) fittings - typically an O ring

4) condensor or evaporator. Both the condensor and evap cores are available new (yes, swapping out the evap is a pain, but do-able).

I love my AC, and won't have a car (vintage or daily driver) without it.

Tell me more about the issue(s) and I can try to help, if you're interested.

So - if you were closer I'd buy all the AC parts... but really (said with respect), why wouldn't you refurbish the AC? When the system is in good repair, it is truly EXCELLENT... so if it were me...

The system is quite simple - and finding leaks is quite simple too. If that's your only issue, then...

Leaks are typically found at 3 or 4 places:

1) a cracked hard line, which is repairable (or good used replacements are fairly easily found),

2) a soft line - any of the soft lines can be made new,

3) fittings - typically an O ring

4) condensor or evaporator. Both the condensor and evap cores are available new (yes, swapping out the evap is a pain, but do-able).

I love my AC, and won't have a car (vintage or daily driver) without it.

Tell me more about the issue(s) and I can try to help, if you're interested.
Honestly I just dont really need it. Wing windows are a great a/c . It's not often so hot that its needed here, and on days that it is I'll typically be on the motorcycle or on the river.
Un clutter the engine bay a bit. Add some extra power, although I'm sure that's hardly noticable on this heavy of a car.
My daily driver (96 nissan d21) has no a/c.
The last thing is I have no intention on ever selling this car so keeping everything original isnt a big deal. Would rather the parts go to sombody that wants to use them rather than just sitting under my hood not working.

Any interest in the complete engine bay A/C system off my 65 Monaco? Also any suggestions on an idler pulley to replace the ac pulley?
Was told the A/C works when I bought the car , but leaks refrigerant. Never filled to confirm that so no guarantee.
I plan on removing everything involved under the hood soon. Going to keep the mounts on the front of the engine to make a idler pulley mount. Any suggestions on a good dual belt idler pulley appreciated.
Mopar on friends!!

View attachment 645568

View attachment 645569

View attachment 645570
The only thing I can help with is to call this company
BPE Water Pump Pulley - Bouchillon Performance Engineering
they hopefully can answer your questions or another one is 440 Source.

Back