65 polara 2 door, 76kmi., where to start...

Detroit_Lives

Reaction score
I've been a member for a long time, I think this is my first post. I bought dodge this years ago and drove it for a year, liked it and decided to "fix it up" so I parked it in the garage its been sitting in the garage, I used to start it every month or 2 but then shame on me I let it go.. engine wouldn't turn over (hand cranking) soaked the cylinders and it didn't take much effort to break free. The drums seized up a bit also..
Meanwhile I found an interior, factory buckets and console rear seats etc.
Meanwhile I found a banged up body in Arizona the guy just pulled engine and trans out and the rear quarters are good. btw, the only rust on mine is the rear quarters. Plus the donor car has a trunk and back seat full of parts, that's sitting in my driveway now under a tarp. SO, where do I start, I need a strategy. I want to do as much as I can myself but not sure about replacing the quarters. I think I could patch-in the bad areas using the donor metal tho. OR should I shop around for a body shop or restoration shop and let the pros do it... by that I mean just the quarters not the entire restoration. When I bought this car I didn't have much of a budget but now I have some options.

Last edited:
A lot of this is going to depend on your skill level. I like to start with doing the mechanical stuff. A car that runs well is an incentive to keep working on it. As far as the body repairs go, approach an old line body shop and tell them what needs to be done and explain that you have donor metal for patching. If you have the car to the point of running and driving, take it to the shop and show them what the car needs, this makes an accurate estimate as to cost a lot easier. If you are comfortable with the estimate have them do the work. Body work is a major PIA for pretty much everyone who is not a body and fender man. You always want a clear idea of what various repairs are going to cost and budget your money accordingly and prioritize the things the car needs to keep if from further deteriorating.

Dave

1. Get it running.

It'll be good to hear it fire up. She's been sitting for awhile so I want to be careful bringing it back to life. One step at a time.

Start with a pad of paper and a pencil. Take an inventory of what you have. Then what you need.
If you need to question your abilities for sheet metal repair/replacement than I would suggest you seek out a professional to do things like hanging the quarters. It takes some special equipment to get it right.

While that is being completed you have time to seek out and accumulate parts you will need, Glass, rubber seals, brake parts etc. Get your interior ready to install. Trust me, you won't run out of things to do once you start. Try to follow through to completion whatever system or component your start on, then go to another.

And stick with this forum. Never be afraid to ask, there's no stupid questions.
Use the wanted thread for parts needed.

Good luck with your project and give us a project peek now and then, The response may encourage you further.

Some great advice in 2 posts, but remember like Will said there's no stupid questions here. Fire away. Great to here your going to resurrect your ride.

P5180014.JPG
Here's what I'm calling my donor car. I got it from Arizona but not sure how it may have found its way there. I bought this for the rear quarter panels and the other parts that came with. She's got a few "whiskey dents" is what the guy told me. Passenger side tail light is pushed in and distorted the quarter but could be hammered out and I really only need the wheel opening area. The door is caved in. Driver side: front fender near the headlight, other than thay the drivers side is pretty solid and straight. No drivetrain, he pulled a 440 and 727 out of it before I bought the body.
P5180014.JPG
P5180017.JPG

P5180015.JPG

P5180016.JPG

View attachment 380130 Here's what I'm calling my donor car. I got it from Arizona but not sure how it may have found its way there. I bought this for the rear quarter panels and the other parts that came with. She's got a few "whiskey dents" is what the guy told me. Passenger side tail light is pushed in and distorted the quarter but could be hammered out and I really only need the wheel opening area. The door is caved in. Driver side: front fender near the headlight, other than thay the drivers side is pretty solid and straight. No drivetrain, he pulled a 440 and 727 out of it before I bought the body. View attachment 380130 View attachment 380131

View attachment 380132

View attachment 380133
Good acquisition. Looks saveable!

I'll get some pics up of the other polara that's been sitting in my garage...sitting and sitting.
Its pretty solid except the rear wheel openings, having said that I haven't been under the car I a long time and hoping not to find rusted. The plan has always been to restore / restomod it but no source for rear sheet metal and I didn't want to rivet patch and bondo it...(I need to work on my sarcasm) So I found the white top donor car here with solid metal. Now all kinds of ideas going thru my mind.

Since purchasing my 65 I’ve noticed nearly every other 65 big Dodge has been hit dead center of the front bumper also. Mine is barely noticeable but for the slight ding in the bumper but it is pushed back about half an inch.

Back