65 Polara Thread

View attachment 391759 Hoping to wrap up brakes tomorrow and possibly fire it up for the first time since I’ve had it.

View attachment 391757
Hi Joe. Mark/Crazyboutwagons suggested I contact you regarding the LEEDs disc brake conversion kits. He said you used one on your Polara. He mentioned you had to do some tweaking? Which kit did you use? What did you use for the master cylinder? I'm considering one for my '67 Newyorker. I still have the factory 14" wheels. Not opposed to upgrading the wheels, I'll need to use up my newer 14" tires first.

Hi Joe. Mark/Crazyboutwagons suggested I contact you regarding the LEEDs disc brake conversion kits. He said you used one on your Polara. He mentioned you had to do some tweaking? Which kit did you use? What did you use for the master cylinder? I'm considering one for my '67 Newyorker. I still have the factory 14" wheels. Not opposed to upgrading the wheels, I'll need to use up my newer 14" tires first.

Sorry I missed this post. I bought the LEED kit from PST complete with a master cylinder. It was supposed to fit the stock 14" wheels, but a part of the brake caliper crossover tube rubbed lightly against the wheel. It could have probably been bent to not rub, but I needed new tires anyhow, so I went ahead and got new 15" wheels and tires. I didn't like the way the kit mounted the booster away from the firewall (it pushed up against the oil dipstick and didn't look right to me), so I ended up mounting it closer to the stock location with some slight tweaks to the mounting holes.

If I did it again I would try and wait to source a 1973 disk brake setup. In the end, the brakes work well and I really don't have any complaints about stopping power.

Back