65 polara

tomcat

Reaction score
recently purchased a 65 polara 383, did these cars come w/factory front disc? thanks

4 wheel drums only, power optional. The 4-piston power front disc brakes started in 1966.

www.hamtramck-historical.com to find orig dealer order guides for options, trim, paint chips, etc., in the "Library" section, by model year and make/model.

I could be wrong, but it's my understanding that 1965 Fleet and Police issue C bodies had discs available, but they are extremely rare. Discs were made available in all C body cars to the general public in 66.

Edit - C body disc brakes are clearly shown in the 65 parts manual - I just checked.

I could be wrong, but it's my understanding that 1965 Fleet and Police issue C bodies had discs available, but they are extremely rare. Discs were made available in all C body cars to the general public in 66.

Edit - C body disc brakes are clearly shown in the 65 parts manual - I just checked.

Option code #604

Now, "the question" . . . why were they of so limited installation if they were "Corvette"-like in design (4-piston calipers)? Was it too soon? Too different and "unknown"? Price vs. benefits?

I don't recall the various main-stream car magazines making a big deal about it in '65 either. Or did I miss something back then? The first road test of a PDB C-body was the 1966 440 TNT 300 2dr hardtop which CAR LIFE tested, which is why I made the comment that I did.

Or, perhaps, it was mentioned but compared to the earlier 1950s disc brakes which were optional, but troublesome and such? Still, no banners and bands proclaiming that "The 1965 Chryslers now have new Power Disc Brakes available", that I recall.

Just curious,
CBODY67

I think that perhaps it was "test run" under predicted challenging service duty (police, taxi) to see how they'd fare...

Just a guess, as I otherwise don't have an answer.

I think that perhaps it was "test run" under predicted challenging service duty (police, taxi) to see how they'd fare...

Just a guess, as I otherwise don't have an answer.
And listed under the Tow Package are "Police Brakes" with drum measurements.

Taken from hamtramck historical.

Screenshot_20210921-144154~2.png

No mention in the sales brochure, but I know that doesn't mean they weren't available.

The police brakes had three versions in 65 - the 3" drums all around (with or without adjusters), 3" front drums and 2.5" rear drums, again, with or without adjusters, and the rarely seen discs, which according to Willis ( @CBODY67 ) may have been available on Dodges only (for police/fleet), since as several people have noted, there's little or nothing in the sales literature of the day for any of the 3 C body lines. Regardless, it's murky waters!!

Ross, I looked into this before and discs were definitely intended for police order only in 65. I found some literature to that effect in my research. I think there's a note about it in the factory parts book, or possibly it was a separate document.

EDIT: Look here for details. For Sale - Factory 65-68 C-body Factory BUDD Disc Brake Set Up

Last edited:
The police brakes had three versions in 65 - the 3" drums all around (with or without adjusters), 3" front drums and 2.5" rear drums, again, with or without adjusters, and the rarely seen discs, which according to Willis ( @CBODY67 ) may have been available on Dodges only (for police/fleet), since as several people have noted, there's little or nothing in the sales literature of the day for any of the 3 C body lines. Regardless, it's murky waters!!

One of my Chrysler 300, Intl Club buddies has a '65 300-L with the Budd disc brakes. From what I understand, the disc brake option was available late in the model year. Maybe it was also available on Dodges. . . But I don't know.

Back