66 300 Door Water Shields

motorama55

Reaction score
I popped the interior door panel off on my 66 300 Convertible this afternoon and noticed that the water shield was missing. Does anybody reproduce these for a 66 C body? Are these just clear plastic or the paper type material. Can anyone post a picture of a door with the water shield still in place?

I simply cut and use the same clear plastic at the hardware store for water barriers.
A little bit of duct tape to keep it in place and make sure the bottom is tucked into the long slit at the bottom of the door.
Hope this helps.

The OEMs were held in place with black strip caulk (dumdum). I used a bead of black silicone with mine. Far better than the paper ones GM used!!!!

I had some heavy duty 14MM 30 gallon trash bags. Cut to fit and used some black caulking strips. I wouldn't use paper since it would absorb any moisture and that is what you are trying to avoid.

100_7398.JPG

100_7399.JPG

My Polara had none, so I used vaper barrier that you put on a house interior wall before the drywall goes up.
Duchene Super Six as in 6mm thick. I sprayed the door frame with Gorilla spray adhesive, waited till it got tacky and then applied the plastic, worked great, even removed the driver's interior panel a second time and the plastic was still in place. Installed like the guys mentioned above.
Good luck.

As above, but for my 300 I stopped in at a mattress store and they gave me the bag that a queen size mattress gets delivered in for zero, cause I am a cheap Scotsman! I have also found in the past that an old shower curtain makes a good one! Nice and thick, easy to work with. I don't use that goop to install, I use the red Tuck Tape that is used for vapor barrier installation. The stuff is waterproof and lasts for decades! Again, make sure you tuck the bottom into the slot on the bottom of the door. While you are in there and before you install the barrier, make sure the drain hole in the bottom of the door is clear! No point in directing water in there if it can't get out! Cam Shaft.

IMG_0221[1].JPG

Thanks for the responses and pictures. BTW, is the door handle mechanism (the part that the chrome handle attaches to) supposed to have a small rubber bumper to give the door handle space between it and the chrome plastic base plate? My door handle mechanism has a small hole that looks like a spot where a small rubber bumper would mount but I have nothing there. The chrome interior door handle is slanted in very close to the base plate with not a lot of room to get your fingers in there to open the door

I suspect the rubber bumper is there for "anti-rattle" and to prevent metal-to-metal ocntact.

I popped the interior door panel off on my 66 300 Convertible this afternoon and noticed that the water shield was missing. Does anybody reproduce these for a 66 C body? Are these just clear plastic or the paper type material. Can anyone post a picture of a door with the water shield still in place?
Give these folks a shout, maybe they have your. They say they may have kits for 62-71 convertibles. I bought a set for my 64 300K.

Back