66-300 Window Adjustment

1966 300

Reaction score
I attached a picture of my 66-300. Just got it back from the paint shop. Look at the gap at the bottom of the front and rear window. Does anyone know how to adjust the windows to close that gap? Any suggestions would be appreciated. The shop manual tells you how to adjust for in and out . It also mentions to and fro but doesn't say a thing about how you do it.

1966-300 Home At Last #4.jpg

How is the gap/seal against the top?
Are both quarter glass and door glass flush between them at the top?
Any binding of the windows going up/down?
Hard to explain and even harder with one pic showing the lower gap.

Hard to explain and even harder with one pic showing the lower gap.

And still even harder when you don't have a FSM to follow along with to compare notes while looking at pictures so you know what your doing. Good Luck

Nice car by the way!

I would start with the door. Typically, if the 1/4 glass has not been touched, it's likely set where it needs to be. Door glass tends to get messed with far more often than 1/4 glass, and is often out of adjustment because the doors sag, get removed, adjusted for gap, glass replacement yadda yadda.

Adjusting the door glass is not as hard as it might appear.

Looking at the picture, I can see that the A pillar of the door is farther away at the top than the bottom where it meets up with the windshield pillar. This will result in wind noise, and geometrically, all things being equal, this will make the door glass gap wide at the bottom by the 1/4 glass. So, I would start by adjusting the forward tilt of the A pillar and the back of the door glass - one can find the tilt adjustment for that at the bottom AND top of the A pillar (there should be slots in the mounting point assemblies, either on the door or in the bracketry behind the door frame), HOWEVER...

There are several adjustments for the A pillar assembly. Take a good look at how it mounts in the door, and see where it would tend to centrally pivot. You want to make sure you're ONLY adjusting the top of the A pillar to go forward a bit. Loosen the fasteners that will permit the entire assembly to pivot (mark all old settings first so you can return things to where they were if it doesn't work), loosen the rear glass track by the door handle a little (mark it first too) to allow the door glass to move back as things get lifted up, and then pull the entire bottom of the A pillar assembly towards the back while pushing up on the very top of the A pillar. This should tilt the top forward. At the same time it will raise the door glass a bit, especially at the back, and make the fitment of the door glass edge and the 1/4 glass edge more parallel. You will need to adjust the up stop of the door glass so that it doesn't come up too high, and make sure it's coming up to the proper height.

Clear as mud? LOL... go slowly and mark your settings to be able to return to what you had before if things don't work out.

You would also want to check the hinge pins for excessive wear. A lot of the time the pins wear out and the door sags and throws every thing else out of alignment. Open the door about 6" and lift up on the door handle, if the door moves up and down a bunch, more than 1/8", that is where the problem lies. Replacement hinge pins are available.

Dave

Back