66 Fury Center Counsel location

anonymous_1

Reaction score
Hello all,
I've got a 66 Fury III and it came with a center concert that I'm planning on installing in the car. Today I sat down to make mounts so I can bolt it down since I don't have any. But I'm really having a hard time figuring out where the counsel should go.

It doesn't seem to meet up on the passenger side of the tunnel if I center the counsel on the tunnel, but I'm not sure how far to take it to the driver's side, or where it goes front to back.

Would anyone be in the position to be able to measure the location of all the mounts on your trans tunnel so I can get an idea of where it needs to go? I've tried finding pictures online and haven't found anything that helps me. Thanks for any help!

20220722_124104.jpg

20220722_124841.jpg

Most Chrysler factory service manuals have an illustration of the console and how it mounts to the floor trans hump. They do not exactly match the floor contours per se, but do fit "tight enough" with the carpet and padding installed.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Most Chrysler factory service manuals have an illustration of the console and how it mounts to the floor trans hump. They do not exactly match the floor contours per se, but do fit "tight enough" with the carpet and padding installed.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67
Thanks, I do have the manual but the counsel doesn't look like mine. Thanks though!

Here are a couple of pics showing the location of the brackets but unfortunately I don’t have any dimensions.

B175386D-802C-421E-93DB-E9D44809B62B.jpeg

A492A748-E9BA-4D82-9748-88CA10294B6A.jpeg

Hello all,
I've got a 66 Fury III and it came with a center concert that I'm planning on installing in the car. Today I sat down to make mounts so I can bolt it down since I don't have any. But I'm really having a hard time figuring out where the counsel should go.

It doesn't seem to meet up on the passenger side of the tunnel if I center the counsel on the tunnel, but I'm not sure how far to take it to the driver's side, or where it goes front to back.

Would anyone be in the position to be able to measure the location of all the mounts on your trans tunnel so I can get an idea of where it needs to go? I've tried finding pictures online and haven't found anything that helps me. Thanks for any help!

View attachment 546070

View attachment 546071
are you planning on converting it to a floor shift like the sport fury's too then? I'm taking mine to get carpet Monday and am in a position I could take some measurements for you. In my opinion it would be easiest to make the furthest rear mount and mark where you need mounts from there going forward since you are making them yourself it sounds like. The furthest rear floor mount goes to the holes in the back storage compartment on the consul. I will get you some pics and measurements later today or tomorrow since mine is just loosely put in for the upholstery guy. Also if you need new top trim for the console this place out of Canada is one of the only places I've found it. I got the new wood grain panels for mine, they weren't quite as good as the factory originals I removed when it came to quality but the finish was great and new looking. 131A-70SET Mopar 1969-70 B-body Woodgrain Automatic Console Plate Kit

Hello all,

View attachment 546070

View attachment 546071
forgot to add in, it looks like yours shows its age like mine did. I would recommend having an upholstery person wrap it with vinyl like what you would upholster a seat with rather than the hard plastic interior paint that's out there. Looks way better and won't flake off eventually.

forgot to add in, it looks like yours shows its age like mine did. I would recommend having an upholstery person wrap it with vinyl like what you would upholster a seat with rather than the hard plastic interior paint that's out there. Looks way better and won't flake off eventually.

Thanks. If you've got time to take a couple pictures of the placement of the rear mount that would be great, especially like the distance from the drivers door pinch weld to the mount.

I found a car today in person and took a couple photos, I think I've got enough to make an educated guess now but more never hurts.

Thanks for all the replies!

131-BMKIT Mopar 1966-70 B-body Console Mounting Bracket Kit

Here is a mount kit for the consul. I know it says B body but its the same ones used in the fury's. A little pricey but may be worth saving the headache. My seats are still in mine so not able to get from the door pinch weld to the trans tunnel on the rear mount. I'll get you a measurement for the front one but after looking at mine its like that one pictured where the rear bracket is welded right at that step up on the trans tunnel which should be easy to place if you get that bracket kit. This place has the floor shift hardware too, it looks like all of this shift linkage hardware was the same for B bodies and C bodies.

Related to the thread mentioned by Welder guy I can add that I too had no mounts and at first I wanted all the individual measurements too but in the end you can just get someone with a factory console 66 to measure the distance from the under dash heater vent (or just firewall) over the hump to the console. Once you get that measurement and locate the 2 obvious places on the console itself where the screws go through the plastic then it you can locate a floor position. Plus a general location for your shifter. It wont be exactly factory but close. The important part is your shifter location relative to the seat. In some ways you are luucky in that you can customize to your seats and arm reach.

BTW the hump is NOT centered in the car! And the console is NOT centered over the hump. There is more drivers side floor than passenger. The console kind of makes up for this by having an offset to the drivers side. I already had a shifter in a good position (not stock) so used this for left/right orientation. You don't have this yet. Not sure but there might be marking/indents as to where a sfifter would go.

The point is get the console front and back location by a OEM measurement. It will start falling into place after that. Sorry if this is unclear. Caffeine I guess.

Also SEM Landau paint can really help the look of a console. the scratches and interruptions in the texture will still be there but much better.

I added center console mounts to a fury that never had one. I started - with help from members - trying to recreate the factory mounts, but soon realized that because of my non-stock shifter it was a waste of time. I then just added plumbers strapping to the console itself using the 3 built in mounting spots and then leveled and centered on the shifter. Wherever the strapping hit the floor I hot glued it down. After removing the console that gave me a template for location, height, etc. I had a piece of aluminum angle that I used but in retrospect wood could have worked just as well.

My console will be higher than stock because of my shifter (Hurst - promatic2) but carpet and sound deadening should fill the gaps just fine. Super excited about finishing this and the interior but the nice weather as me appropriately distracted.

View attachment 536726

Related to the thread mentioned by Welder guy I can add that I too had no mounts and at first I wanted all the individual measurements too but in the end you can just get someone with a factory console 66 to measure the distance from the under dash heater vent (or just firewall) over the hump to the console.

Yeah thanks! In the moment when I realized that I didn't know where it needed to be and posting this thread I was over thinking it. I really just wanted a close ballpark so I didn't have to assemble my whole interior to figure out where was a good place, haha.

I've got a good idea now. Now I just need to find them time to get it done.

RK, I really appreciate the great photos, that have helped me to see how the console and shifter are mounted, and moreover, how the console wiring comes into the mix. I thought wiring came in from the head, as I attempt to rewire mine, but have not thought about pulling seats and carpet to work on the floors yet....trying to get RoadKill running first. Did you replace metal, and if so, where did you find it....have not found a source of new floors yet.

RK, I really appreciate the great photos, that have helped me to see how the console and shifter are mounted, and moreover, how the console wiring comes into the mix. I thought wiring came in from the head, as I attempt to rewire mine, but have not thought about pulling seats and carpet to work on the floors yet....trying to get RoadKill running first. Did you replace metal, and if so, where did you find it....have not found a source of new floors yet.
Yes I replaced the floor panels. Had to use the dreaded C2C panels as that’s all that’s available. Your only other choice is a donor car or make your own. In the end they worked but are thinner than oem.

Perfect, thanks. Found them on line, had not come across them in my searches at this point. My floors are not horrible, but would like to be able to cut pieces out of a floor that has a contour that is close to weld in, where I have to. So this is perfect, thanks for the assist. Great job on your car. A lot of work. I spent over 5 years on a previous resto, and only want this one to be RoadKill that I can drive. So far, so bad on my plan, but we will see. Thanks again.

Back