66 Ignition Lock Cylinder Light

darth_linux

Reaction score
So I discovered that my Newport does indeed have an ignition switch/key light. The bulb was burned out, so I went over to the parts store, paid way too much ($7 for 2) for a 57 bulb, installed it and was immediately underwhelmed. I get a tiny sliver of light peeking out towards my key, and only when the when the headlight switch is set to "parking" mode, not when the door is ajar or headlamps are on.

Not sure if this is the intended behavior or operation, but shouldn't there be a LITTLE bit more light illuminating where the key goes when you are trying to start the car in the dark? Is there a lens or something that I need to clean, or is it truly just a few photons escaping through the cracks around the lock cylinder?

thanks!

is it truly just a few photons escaping through the cracks around the lock cylinder?
Yup! Just enough to see.
It was never intended to be bright.
Btw, LED do not work there. As you know, that bulb runs off a load rated resistor/timer that is not compatable with LED's.

I don't think it was never meant to be a bright light and as far as I know, the only thing that triggers it are the interior lights, opening the door or using the dash switch, then it turns off with the timer, after 30 seconds or so, (I never timed it). You can try cleaning the green filter in socket with a Qtip or something if it accumulated some dust.

The more-focused light for the switch/ign cyl came with the mechanism mounted inside the steering column. On the '66s and similar, only a glow around the inner circumference of the ign cyl bezel. With a low output bulb, any accumulation of dust on items can decrease the light more than suspected.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

I don't think it was never meant to be a bright light and as far as I know, the only thing that triggers it are the interior lights, opening the door or using the dash switch, then it turns off with the timer, after 30 seconds or so, (I never timed it). You can try cleaning the green filter in socket with a Qtip or something if it accumulated some dust.
Where is this timer located and how can I test its operation?

Where is this timer located and how can I test its operation?
Looks like this and it's just attached to the wire harness. about 3/4" in diameter. Test it by opening the door, then closing it and waiting for the light to go off.

s-l1600.jpg

66s don't have the timer. It's key on only, and it's therefore completely useless both in brightness and operation. I gave up in trying to retrofit mine with a timer and wire it into the door light circuit.

66s don't have the timer. It's key on only, and it's therefore completely useless both in brightness and operation. I gave up in trying to retrofit mine with a timer and wire it into the door light circuit.
That’s kinda what I thought. I didn’t see any kind of timer listed in the owner’s manual or sales brochure. Seems to be nearly useless unless you turn on your parking lights before putting the key in.

I learn something new everyday!

In '65 that light only comes on with the parking lights & is pretty useless. Given the similarity in dashes, I assume '66 is the same.

In '65 that light only comes on with the parking lights & is pretty useless. Given the similarity in dashes, I assume '66 is the same.
Yep, mine only comes on with parking lights. Confirms my diagnosis. Someone really must have loved parking lights to have burned out the bulb in my car …

Back