66 Imperial Antenna/cigar lighter short-where to look

watchfatha

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I recently upgraded all of the bulbs in my dash to LED. They look great. However, in doing so I must have dislodged or chafed something because now my antenna and my front cigar lighter are shorted (blown fuse). When I replaced the fuse it blew immediately-twice. What I would like to know is where is the most likely place to look for this unintentional ground to have occurred? It is extremely tight under the dash, with limited access and sight, so I would like (if possible) to be clued in to where the most likely place for this short to have happened.
Thanks

As full time available accessories, both those components feed off a circuit that connected full time to the battery, without needing the key on, usually through one of those three output plugs that one plugs the male banana style connector from the component into (although I'm not sure about the lighter circuit).

Did you have the ashtray assembly removed to gain access to the rear side of the dash components when you changed out the bulbs? Often the wiring for both those (or the feed wire with the tri plug), are run behind the ashtray, and on my 66 Chrysler (NOT IMPERIAL), the wiring is held to the back of the ashtray with big bendy clips to keep it in the right place to avoid pinches and sharp edges which your forearms probably are visual testament to at the moment if you've been rummaging around back there.

If the wires are not held in the right place, it would be VERY easy for those wires to get pinched or cut by the ashtray assembly as its frame is remounted into the dash frame.

Thanks, I found it. I had removed and tinkered with the non-op clock, and did not put it back together with enough crimping force to make it have a good ground. That caused it to have intermittent contact and go to ground. As soon as I unplugged it and then replaced the fuse everything (except the clock) worked properly.

Back