Power antenna conversion

SuperDave

Reaction score
I got a car cover for Christmas (yay) for my '73 Newport. However, because of the original 1 piece antenna mast, I must make a hole in the cover for it to fit. I don't really want to do that. So my options are: A) power antenna, B) an antenna with a spring at the bottom and/or a swivel ball mount, C) get a cheesy short rubber antenna (yuck), or D) delete the antenna entirely and go with an internal antenna on the dash.

Because the original antenna mount on the fender is so far forwards compared to the windshield (22" just to the rear of the fender!), even with a spring loaded one will cause issues with the car cover. I'm looking at Amazon for one as I doubt I could find a NOS one within my budget, or even if a 50 yr old unit would even work anymore. At present, I have to whip out my trusty Leatherman and unscrew the antenna each time I want to cover it. I figure that won't last long before the threads wear down and it falls off riding down the road.

I am strongly considering the power antenna route. It just plain looks nicer, and as I have read, only requires removing the inner fender well to mount. For what it is worth, I live way out in the sticks where radio reception is poor, so the bigger the antenna, the better.

Any thoughts, suggestions or experience y'all can bring to the table? I am open to ideas.

I take my 7/16 wrench and just remove my antenna when I put the cover on. Takes less than a minute. Disclaimer: I am not taking the cover on and off every day. Usually when I store it for the winter.

I just popped the holes in my covers, put the little plastic grommet in the hole (one should have come with your cover) and that's it. The power antennas don't go flush in my '70 or my '65, so there's always some sticking up.

With a removable antenna, I used to just remove it when I wanted to cover the car. It doesn't have to be any more than hand tight, so that's easy enough.

I live way out in the sticks where radio reception is poor, so the bigger the antenna, the better.

Any thoughts, suggestions or experience y'all can bring to the table? I am open to ideas.

Anything longer than 31 inches is a waste as there is no better reception with a longer antenna...

/

31" is allegedly optimized for FM reception, but not for "way-past boondock" AM reception (where length is king).

I got a car cover for Christmas (yay) for my '73 Newport. However, because of the original 1 piece antenna mast, I must make a hole in the cover for it to fit. I don't really want to do that. So my options are: A) power antenna, B) an antenna with a spring at the bottom and/or a swivel ball mount, C) get a cheesy short rubber antenna (yuck), or D) delete the antenna entirely and go with an internal antenna on the dash.

Because the original antenna mount on the fender is so far forwards compared to the windshield (22" just to the rear of the fender!), even with a spring loaded one will cause issues with the car cover. I'm looking at Amazon for one as I doubt I could find a NOS one within my budget, or even if a 50 yr old unit would even work anymore. At present, I have to whip out my trusty Leatherman and unscrew the antenna each time I want to cover it. I figure that won't last long before the threads wear down and it falls off riding down the road.

I am strongly considering the power antenna route. It just plain looks nicer, and as I have read, only requires removing the inner fender well to mount. For what it is worth, I live way out in the sticks where radio reception is poor, so the bigger the antenna, the better.

Power antenna installation can be much more involved that suspected. Have to find the correct power antenna mechanism AND all of the related mounting brackets FIRST. Then the related wiring and switches. THEN learn how to easily remove it when it does not work, if that happens.

Aftermarket power antennas might still be around, but that "ball-mount" universal base looks "not good" to me. Then worrying about the quality of the item, all things considered.

Cheaper to buy a dedicated wrench to keep in the floor, beside the driver's seat. Attached to a lanyard or similar.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Remove the antenna and go with an inside one that you can stick to the A pilar on the passenger side, thay are slender and have an adhesive backing, very happy with it.

I just leave the antenna mast finger tight and put it on the dashboard when I’m covering my cars.

Back