66 Monaco indicator removal

monaco

Reaction score
Hey guys
Can anybody give me step by step instructions on how to remove and replace my indicator arm? My manual says nothing.
Thx

Is your car a USA or Canadian Monaco? Tilt/Tele column or regular? (makes a difference).

On the tilt tele column it just unscrews - there's two flats for a small wrench. On a regular column I am not sure, but I think you need to remove the steering wheel to access the base of the turn signal arm. Once the wheel is off, it should be easy to see, but you may be required to remove the horn contact ring which requires a special tool.

Pictures would help.

Others will chime in.

Do you have the factory service manual?

Is your car a USA or Canadian Monaco? Tilt/Tele column or regular? (makes a difference).

On the tilt tele column it just unscrews - there's two flats for a small wrench. On a regular column I am not sure, but I think you need to remove the steering wheel to access the base of the turn signal arm. Once the wheel is off, it should be easy to see, but you may be required to remove the horn contact ring which requires a special tool.

Pictures would help.

Others will chime in.

Do you have the factory service manual?
Sorry. It's a canadian model non-telescopic. I have an after market manual. Can't find anything on it.
My coronet is completely different.

Pull the wheel. There is a small screw on end of arm at the plastic switch ring.

I'll try and look things up in my Canadian service manual and post some pics and instructions. Where in Ontario are you? I live near Brantford. Let's see some pics of your car!

So - looking at my Canadian service manual it doesn't provide any more info than you already have.

Steering wheel must come off. You need to use a correct steering wheel puller, which are available from Canadian Tire for cheap. You twist the centre emblem to remove it, then IIRC, you remove the horn ring with 3 screws (don't lose the rubber washers), and this exposes the wheel nut and wheel spokes. That's when you use the steering wheel puller. Use a grease pencil or a sharpie to make a couple of marks on both the centre shaft and the wheel to align the wheel when you want to reinstall it. Don't remove the nut all the way because the whole assembly can come off with a fair amount of force into your face - the nut being on a few threads will stop it flying off once the puller makes the wheel release from the splines of the centre shaft.

The horn ring is not in the way apparently, but it does not detail the removal of the turn signal lever arm so it must be very obvious as indicated above by @rapidtrans .

Here are pics of the pages from the service manual:
20200522_105227.jpg
20200522_105237.jpg
20200522_105337.jpg
20200522_105341.jpg

Last edited:
I just had mine apart last year. Turn signal lever was really loose. As I recall there is just one screw that mounts it to the plastic turn signal switch below that cancelling cam piece. Seems kind of flimsy but it’s been in use for 50 years. Put a little loctite on the screw and carefully tightened screw.

Back