66 Polara convertible Window Frame Channel material Question

mr. fix it

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Hi there. It seems that a lot of us are tackling our window issues this winter myself included.
I'm getting ready to restore the guides & regulators gathering part numbers.

I see that on all my window guides/channels that there was some kind of whisker like material but it is ground down pretty badly on all 4 window assemblies.

I have the parts a catalog but don't find the reference to the part# or what it is.
I see something in the service manual as shown here.
In the rear 1/4 windows, it describes the stabilizer channel which has this material as well.
Can anyone throw me a bone here?
upload_2019-3-1_10-24-14.png

upload_2019-3-1_10-20-34.png

Restoration Specialties sells the material in bulk. I purchased from them for my '65 300 restoration. I simply cut it to size and used an aggressive spray adhesive to bond it to the run channels.

Restoration Specialties sells the material in bulk. I purchased from them for my '65 300 restoration. I simply cut it to size and used an aggressive spray adhesive to bond it to the run channels.
Thanks for the response.
would it be this?

AS1268 96"

Fabric glued to all 3 surfaces. The original was likely sprayed on. You can get spray on stuff but I don't know if it's the correct grade and durability.

Perhaps Rexus can link the stuff he used.

If I recall correctly the one that attaches to the front of the front window that runs up and down in the vent window channel was the same for many years and models 23-63-33 (2664914-5). I believe I saw it on the DMT ( Detroit Motor Technologies) site. He may have the others as well.
upload_2019-3-1_16-25-54.png

Where the first line is (front edge of glass)
upload_2019-3-1_16-35-52.png

For many years, middle '60s until about '72, for front door vent window cars, the "slide" piece on the front window glass is actually a hard plastic (white/clear) which has black flocking sprayed onto it, as a colorant AND also the friction interface/anti-rattle piece. It's a dedicated length item, application specific as to length (although it could be sawed to a shorter length if the repro people sell just one length (one side fits all, with applicable length adjustments). It's held in place on the front edge of the glass, with two dowels that locate it, as I recall, moving with the glass. I ordered some for my '70 DH43 from Chrysler, back in the '70s, while it was still available. Took some doing to find the part numbers in the book and illustrations, as I recall. Seems like it fits MANY model years!

The other window channel items for sedan windows are flocked rubber which the glass rolls up into on the top and is guided by one the back side. This replaced the prior "bristles" item from prior to about '65 model year C-body? THAT stuff will be roll goods that can be cut to fit, with mitering the upper joints and gluing them together, as needed. GM used it well into the '90s pon pickup trucks, for example. Many GM cars, using this channel material, also used plastic "snap-over" guides at the upper rear edge of the glass, for more stability as the glass went up and down. Had a small hole in the glass that the clip indexed into as it snapped together. Probably lots of that stuff on the HELP! rack at the auto supply.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I’ve been trying to work with Nigel but the full kit he is planning to offer is another 2-3 weeks away from being available
He doesn’t have the material either for the channel guides
He is a busy man

Back