66 Polara - Power Window Woes

Hi all, I'm new to the forum but have been reading threads over the past few months pertaining to minor things I've had to fix on my 66 Polara. sorry for the wall of text, but there is one issue that I have not been able to find any info on, at least anything that I could connect to my specific problem. Here's my problem:

The power windows don't work properly. Simple, right? I couldn't tell you because I have no idea what's wrong... I'm not a mechanic, engineer, or electrician.

All of the windows will move down about 5 inches before they slow down and eventually stop. Going back up is different, sometimes they just don't move at all. This summer, I rolled the passenger window all the way down and it wouldn't come back up no matter what I did. However, the next time I started it (only a few days later) it was able to push itself all the way back up. The thing is, this problem affects all 4 windows.

This leads me to a few questions. Can a bad motor or window regulator have an effect on the other windows in the car? Is it reasonable to assume that they all went bad at the same time? Could it be something wrong with a circuit breaker?

My FSM doesn't have any valuable information about the power windows, nor do the wiring diagrams show the window circuit breaker. I read a post a while back about the breaker being the same for the top, windows, and seat. I haven't noticed any problems with the top but the power seat won't move forward; only back, up, and down. It seems like it wouldn't be connected to the same breaker if they aren't all having similar issues.

One last bit of info is that the ammeter needle will go up when I hit the window switches rather than down like every other accessory. I don't think that they could be wired incorrectly as the wiring hasn't been touched since I got the car in 2015 and the windows only stopped working this year.

There was a problem with the voltage regulator. The battery was showing higher voltage output than it should have and the ammeter was hanging more towards the C than the middle, there was also some flickering of the interior lights and dash. So I replaced that and now it sits right in the middle and no longer has those problems. But, it didn't fix the windows. That's pretty much everything pertaining to the situation.

This post ended up much longer than I expected so I'll add some pictures to make up for the great wall of text. :D

View attachment 496861

View attachment 496862

View attachment 496863

She's a Convertible 500 with a 440 and she's never left Big Sky Country. I inherited it from my uncle after he passed away. He loved this car and I want to take proper care of it in his stead.
They were all built at the same time and theyve all run for 56 years so why wouldnt they all wear out together haha

They were all built at the same time and theyve all run for 56 years so why wouldnt they all wear out together haha
Very true, especially since it’s a convertible where all the windows would be rolled down at the same time. I guess that wasn’t something that I put much thought into at the time.

The problem ended up being the positive wire that runs from the driver’s switch to the post behind the kick panel.

The passenger window is still a bit slow so that one may be the regulator, but the rest glide fast and free once more.

Very true, especially since it’s a convertible where all the windows would be rolled down at the same time. I guess that wasn’t something that I put much thought into at the time.

The problem ended up being the positive wire that runs from the driver’s switch to the post behind the kick panel.

The passenger window is still a bit slow so that one may be the regulator, but the rest glide fast and free once more.
Moving slow is not a good sign as you won’t like the next speed if you don’t address that issue. Get in there and clean and re-grease the regulator and if that doesn’t do it you might do the same with the motor.

Moving slow is not a good sign as you won’t like the next speed if you don’t address that issue. Get in there and clean and re-grease the regulator and if that doesn’t do it you might do the same with the motor.
Yeah. I have to do that with 3 more of my convertible windows

Back