66 Sport Fury-From The Beginning

I showed these pics to the wife and granddaughters. You have a big thumbs up from them all. The youngest is quite a car fanatic and she likes the colour a lot although she says mine is a nicer colour. I do think she is just being nice to me though.
Thanks Rod! My wife and I like the brown also. It looks great on this model car and if Jim hadn't just painted his wagon the brown color we might have went that route.
We finished pulling the 69 440 out of the parts Vert around 9 last night and even though I was just supervising, I'm a bit beat today.

v1.jpg

v2.jpg

v4.jpg

Thanks Rod! My wife and I like the brown also. It looks great on this model car and if Jim hadn't just painted his wagon the brown color we might have went that route.

Oh sure. Blame me. Still, the color you chose looks amazing on that car. I may have failed to mention that the other car the same body guy painted for me was a turquoise convertible. Does this mean you'll be taking your convertible back and choosing a different color? LOL

68 turquoise vert.jpg

Last edited:
Not a bunch of pictures this go around but time for an update.
Spent the weekend performing post body work/paint cleanup. Hosed down and vacuumed out the interior/trunk/engine bay of the car attempting to remove the cursed sand polishing compound from all the blasting...Man that stuff was everywhere!
The exterior got it's first wash and shammie job. The paint is beautiful!!!
Also putzed around with checking fitment of the new 440 hood ornament and hood mounted turn signals. Not going to install yet since we will be removing the hood to install the rebuilt 440 pretty soon.
Pulled the trigger on a nice set of HP manifolds. Once they arrive we can begin readying the motor to go back in the car.

Exhaust.jpg

Well I was gonna do a mock up of the manifolds this weekend but it looks like they forgot to pack the tube nuts? Seller says he'll get them right out to me. In the meantime I ordered some new ARP Manifold nuts to go with what he's sending and decided to spend a few hours on father's day going thru all my parts and cataloging every bolt I could find.
I know I could have pulled them off of the 69 440 but I just figured I'd go with new ARP's since most of the new motor has them. I never did find the old ones off of the 66 NY'er motor we rebuilt.

So, apparently your Fury has had an affect on others. A local Mopar guy here in Berryville, saw your Fury all painted and looking spectacular at the body shop. He already had a buyer who wanted his 66 convertible that he has had for decades. But when he saw yours, he decided to keep his convertible rather than sell it. The interested buyer mentioned that he would need a replacement roof for his own 66 Fury hardtop. Since the local Mopar guy had seen the remains of your parts car at the body shop, he referred the potential buyer to the body shop. Maybe that parts car can save another hardtop.

dickies fury.jpg

Last edited:
Same here bud, 66 fury’s are fun! I’m picking up mine from body and paint Tomorrow!

So I've spent the better part of the last three weeks on a bunch of white roofs in 90 degree temps so this weekend was a shade and AC episode for me.
I did receive the new barrel nuts for the HP headers so I spent a little time today installing the spark plugs and the manifolds....

Things are going a bit slow now since I'm back on the motor and waiting for the trim polish operation.

I did get word from Legendary that my seat covers and backs are gonna ship next week so I'm gonna have to start thinking about sound deadening and carpet pretty soon?

View attachment 386123

HP7.jpg

HP1.jpg

So I've spent the better part of the last three weeks on a bunch of white roofs in 90 degree temps so this weekend was a shade and AC episode for me.
I did receive the new barrel nuts for the HP headers so I spent a little time today installing the spark plugs and the manifolds....

Things are going a bit slow now since I'm back on the motor and waiting for the trim polish operation.

I did get word from Legendary that my seat covers and backs are gonna ship next week so I'm gonna have to start thinking about sound deadening and carpet pretty soon?

View attachment 386123

View attachment 386124

View attachment 386125

Looks terrific, Clay. Don't forget the spark plug wire separators. I think at least two of them bolt on under the exhaust manifold nuts.

http://www.hoffmanswinnerscircle.com/Wire_Kit_Guide_2.htm

haha I had the feeling I was gonna have that type of problem. Good thing they're not torqued... Thanks Rip!!!

Rumor has it the front end trim is almost done at the polisher and we may have pictures here pretty soon.

Also I have officially caved to pressure from SWMBO and asked the trim restorer to change the belt trim paint to white vs what was originally going to be black!

This turn of events is due to the change of doing the interior in white. Now we know white wasn’t offered for our model but we feel it will match with the paint scheme much better.

Last edited:
Can't wait to get my hands on this stuff! He still has to have it re-anodized and spray the black highlights on the light bezels but it looks a thousand times better than what I sent him....

So I figure it's about time to let folks know what's going on. We are still collecting needed parts. The seat covers and backs came in. The entire front end is back from the polisher in Michigan and the stuff looks great. Here's a shot of one of the finished headlight bezels.

The polisher is working on the belt trim now.

So my wife and I have been spending a fair amount of time looking for a new piece of property here locally. With no garage and living on the side of a mountain, restoring the Frankenfury was getting increasingly difficult. Either way too hot or way too wet to get anything done. Not to mention the front of our place looks like a Mopar scrap yard with all this stuff piled up.

We finally scored! Bought an 1896 farm house located in a small hamlet just off I 81 and only 20 minutes from here. Nice barn, an in-law cottage, a wood shop (I also make my own primitive archery equipment), and a decent garage!!!

The farmer is working on building his new barn/shop and I've given him a couple of months to re-locate his 30 years of accumulation (he's right in the middle of getting in hay).

So the short version is we'll be a bit busy for the next couple months getting things relocated and trying to ready this place for sale. Then we'll be back on the rebuild with a vengeance.....

finished bezel.jpg

IMG_2945.jpg

Oranda Road Prop.PNG

IMG_2946.jpg

Back