67' 300 440 Steering Box Help

Cortez

Reaction score
Hey guys it's me again with another question? I put my new power steering pump on and I have a leak on the steering box right under where the hose from the power steering pump connects to it there's two bolts on this piece so I'm wondering if I can just replace said Peace. Also any help with the name of the actual part I need would be greatly appreciated it's to the left of the picture right where the hose connects.
20180504_142042.jpg
20180504_142042.jpg

That upper assembly is the Power Assist valve. Scribe its position (it adjusts) and remove the two bolts that hold it on. Where the assembly attaches to the gear housing you will find some O-rings, one of them is probably leaking. Replace them all with hi density O-rings and that should fix your leak.

Dave

Make sure you do not reach through the steering wheel when you restart it after reassembly. If not lined up right it will self steer and break your arm, or at least be very sore the next day.
If it does self steer you can loosen the bolts (very little) and tap the piece back and forth till it quits self steering, then retighten.

There's a section in the FSM about "adjusting" the location of that housing to decrease/prevent the self-steering issue. Putting "a mark" on the two housings for realignment upon reassembly is a good idea, but some tweaking might be necessary after it's all back together.

From the looks of that area on the gear, might be a good idea to spray it down with brake cleaner to remove the accumulations in that area, so it's all clean with no possibility of "residue" getting into the gear when the housing is removed.

Chrysler probably had some specific part numbers on those O-rings. Make sure the ones you get, if not OEM Chrysler items, are rated for power steering fluid exposure. This has to do with the rubber compound in the o-ring itself as not all O-rings will last with exposure to particular types of fluids. Same with rubber hoses in the power steering system, from my own experiences. Use PSF spec'd for your car rather than ATF, which is another of my experiences.

CBODY67

Also, be careful when you are compressing the new o-rings to tighten each side down equally, it is cast aluminum or cast pot metal and will break with astonishing ease. Don't ask how I know this.

If you get it back together and the wheel turns automatically to one side of the other, lift up the front wheels, and loosen the 2 bolts in the hose housing a little and shift the housing one way or the other until the wheels no longer turn left or right by themselves.

Should there be a gasket I removed it and there was just the o ring?

Back