67 fury III convertible

craigl

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
well, after decades of rotting in storage i brought her home today. i drove her from college station to houston. i was scared to death something would go wrong but amazingly enough we made it!

and so it begins... anyone know why my tail lights will not shut off? i have turned the light switch on the dash all the way to off - not in park or 'lights on'. for now i have had to pull the ground cable off to prevent the battery from dying. i cannot get the tail lights to shut off.

want to know something embarrassing? i do not know where the fuses are. i am ashamed to admit this.

please bear with me. this was the car i drove in highschool. my grandfather bought it in 67. i had a minor wreck in 1991 and have dragged the carcass everywhere i have lived across 4 states since then. the only person i could ask would have been my father but he passed away. the last time i drove this thing i was an irresponsible teenager that didnt take care of anything - never mind check oil or fuses!! i have some learning to do with this car.

fury.jpg

I'm going to suggest its not the tail lights, but the brake lights. If so, likely from a weak or bad brake pedal return spring, or an out of adjustment brake light switch at the pedal. Not uncommon on a car thats sat for years.
It its truly the tail lights, you'll need somebody smarter than I to diagnose that.

I'm going to suggest its not the tail lights, but the brake lights. If so, likely from a weak or bad brake pedal return spring, or an out of adjustment brake light switch at the pedal. Not uncommon on a car thats sat for years.
It its truly the tail lights, you'll need somebody smarter than I to diagnose that.
and you sir were 100% correct! thank you.

If that ride is your definition of rotting, I’d hate to see what you think a great looking car looks like. :) That looks like on sweet ride. More pictures please!!!

If that ride is your definition of rotting, I’d hate to see what you think a great looking car looks like. :) That looks like on sweet ride. More pictures please!!!

i apologize, i should have stated it has been at the restoration shop in Bryan TX for almost 18 months. from there it had lived the past almost 25 years in a half dozen different storage locations across 4 states. it was just something i could never let go. to see it in my driveway and driving it now is a bit surreal. i found under the front seat that piece of paper you find in new cars that tells you the original options selected at the factory. also, in the engine compartment is a metal "credit" card (not sure if it was a dealer or factory thing) in a sleeve against the frame that has my grandfathers name and address stamped into it the day he bought it.

i should add, this was the 1st car i ever drove or had. i drove it in highschool before having a small accident that put it out of commission. that small accident required me to replace the front sub frame during the restoration process. it wasnt a bad accident by any means. there was just a tiny hump in the front frame pillar. it was still easily drivable but it needed to be replaced - not straightened. we found a subframe quickly!

does anyone know how to decipher that "build code" sheet? im googling with little luck.

IMG_0605.jpg

IMG_0606.jpg

IMG_0607.jpg

IMG_0608.jpg

IMG_0609.jpg

IMG_0610.jpg

Last edited:
An even sweeter ride knowing that back story. I can probably speak on behalf of all the folks on this site …. Thank You for saving that car. Hopefully you have someone to pass the car onto in your family to continue that lineage. Very cool. And thanks for the extra pics. There are quite a few folks on here who can help you decipher the build codes and fender tags. I unfortunately am not one of them. @Big_John is a super helpful guy. If he doesn’t know how to decipher it, I bet he will know who and tag them accordingly to get a notice for this thread.
Welcome to the group!

Last edited:
An even sweeter ride knowing that back story. I can probably speak on behalf of all the folks one this site …. Thank You for saving that car. Hopefully you have someone to pass the car onto in your family to continue that lineage. Very cool. And thanks for the extra pics. There are quite a few folks on here who can help you decipher the build codes and fender tags. I unfortunately am not one of them. @Big_John is a super helpful guy. If he doesn’t know how to decipher it, I bet he will know who and tag them accordingly to get a notice for this thread.
Welcome to the group!

thank you :) yes, my son (craig III) will take it one day. i have done my utmost to explain to him the history. it is worth nowhere even close to the restoration costs - it does on the other hand have sentimental value.

i have a question but i think i am going to phrase it a different way so as to not badger folks on this forum on a daily basis. I need to know the size of the belt tensioner bolt for my AC compressor belt (318). I am going to see if I can get the AC working, I bought a belt today. However, i noticed the tensioner bolt is missing. I do not know what size bolt it is. Is there a good reference i can buy that will have answers to mundane questions like this?

Last edited:
well, after decades of rotting in storage i brought her home today. i drove her from college station to houston. i was scared to death something would go wrong but amazingly enough we made it!

and so it begins... anyone know why my tail lights will not shut off? i have turned the light switch on the dash all the way to off - not in park or 'lights on'. for now i have had to pull the ground cable off to prevent the battery from dying. i cannot get the tail lights to shut off.

want to know something embarrassing? i do not know where the fuses are. i am ashamed to admit this.

please bear with me. this was the car i drove in highschool. my grandfather bought it in 67. i had a minor wreck in 1991 and have dragged the carcass everywhere i have lived across 4 states since then. the only person i could ask would have been my father but he passed away. the last time i drove this thing i was an irresponsible teenager that didnt take care of anything - never mind check oil or fuses!! i have some learning to do with this car.

View attachment 479349

Pretty sure its not a fuse or you would have no tail lights at all. Most likely the headlight switch if its just the tail lights. Car looks great. I have a 65 2 door hard top in Spring

That "credit" card thing is called a Certicard and was found in all Mopars up until, I think, 1972. I could be wrong on the dates. That's a great find and beautiful car, congrats for keeping it going. Also try Vans Auto Parts in Waupun, WI or Nationalmoparts.com in Oregon for your tensioner bolt. They both have tons (and I mean tons) of Mopar parts, everything. Vans ph #920-324-2481

Last edited:
Pretty sure its not a fuse or you would have no tail lights at all. Most likely the headlight switch if its just the tail lights. Car looks great. I have a 65 2 door hard top in Spring

ill be damned :) im in magnolia but I grew up in Spring (Birnam Woods).

can anyone tell me where i can get a good schematic of the AC system?

good god why are wiper reservoirs so expensive? lol!

Last edited:
Back