'67 Imperial wheelcover resto

Thanks gents! I'll probably do the rears today and start putting in the new radio.

And then I gave it a bath and took it out for a cruise on Woodward! Note the extremely rare silver leather....

for a second Matt I thought you were going to tell us that you took the Imp for a spin and the restored wheel cover flew off into a tree of something like that!
:Groaner:

The effort you have put in is well worth it!
Great Job!!

Great job on those Matt, when do want to start mine! LOL . One thing on those hubcaps that you might want to think about is that they were balanced at the factory when new. Now I don't really know if it makes that much of a difference but they do weigh about 40 pounds or so it seems. I wonder if there's some way to mark them for positioning before taking them apart. The weight are on the back side, nothing more than simple pieces of steel. I realize it's too late for the first ones, or maybe someone else is thinking of doing a resto on their own, might want to think about that before taking them apart. Or not. Depending on if they're worried about a shimmy down the road. Just a thought.

That's a good thought and admittedly I paid no attention to them upon dismantle. They do only weigh 6 lbs though, thankfully! The rears were just dirty with only some minor dings and scratches but so is the rest of the car so I didn't want to over-restore the wheelcovers. Here are the before pics of the rears.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Here's how wheelcover itself turns out with a scrub down with simple green and a scotch brite sponge.

image.jpg

Beautiful work Matt! We should all learn your photography skills for the restoration process. I love threads like this with tons of photos showing the process.

Beautiful job. Of the 66-69 Wheel covers, 67 had the best paint treatment to them in my opinion.

Thanks again guys. For those that are faced with this project on any multi part wheelcover here's what I would do. By the fourth one I almost had it down to an hour to clean it. Get yourself a clean oil drain pan or any other container that you can fit your parts into and fill it with Simple Green far enough to submerge your parts. This is of course if you don't have a legit parts washer. Let them soak for a while. I was using full strength but you could probably dilute with water. Use stiff brushes and scotch brite scrubbing pads to try and get into all the nooks and crannys and prepare for some sore fingertips. These things were hard to get clean and I'm glad that's over! This is one of those things that nobody would even notice unless I pointed it out and to be honest I don't think anybody would have called me out if they were just dirty. It was that one that needed rebuilt that necessitated the cleaning of the rest but it does look good!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Really nice work Matt! They look great after your rebuild! I will do that with mine as well someday.

That's a good lookin' cow right there!

My word, that's a beautiful car! It may have taken a while to clean those wheel covers but, man it was worth it from here!

Beautiful job. Of the 66-69 Wheel covers, 67 had the best paint treatment to them in my opinion.

Just to be a stickler, the 1966 wheel covers look like the 1967-1969 wheel covers but they are different to allow for the cooling of the front drum brakes. I am pretty sure that they will not interchange.

Beautiful job on the wheels. Beautiful car. I need to do something like that for my 69 LeBaron Coupe but that is not at the top of the list.

Right now I have hubcaps from a 1977 Chrysler Lebaron on the car http://www.hubcaps.org/lebaron.html (393 B) which I think look pretty good, have an Imperial Eagle and are much easier to find if I lose one.

Just to be a stickler, the 1966 wheel covers look like the 1967-1969 wheel covers but they are different to allow for the cooling of the front drum brakes. I am pretty sure that they will not interchange.
The '66 wheelcovers also differ in that the valve stem comes out through the fins. I have '67 covers on my '66, and am looking to do the same thing on mine that you have on yours.

Back