67 Monaco 4 door sedan to 4 door hardtop conversion?

Jayce

Reaction score
Hi Guys

New to the forum and from South Africa. We never received the 4 door in hardtop format. 400 units were only ever brought to our country.

I would like to do a 4 door hardtop conversion. Is this pretty much a bolt in conversion if I can source all the hardtop bits?

What issues do you potentially foresee. Thanks for looking and commenting.

First of all...
WELCOME!!

I would not recommend this type of conversion.

1) Nothing is of a "bolt on" fitment.
4 door hardtops have different structure designs regarding the rocker panels and center door pillars.
The door glass is different,so is the weather seals.
The roof line of the hardtops is also different--more like a fast top-compared to the sedans.Thus the Dutchman's panel is different.
Hardtops are "taller" than the sedans and the windshields do not interchange

2) Given the historical significance of your car, in my opinion,butchering it up would greatly reduce the value of the car, and destroy its integrity.
The S.A. Monaco's were pre-assembled in Windsor,Ontario,Canada.Then shipped overseas and final assembly done to meet the RHD requirements there .

Last edited:
Great reply. Thanks a million. I am not into butchering, because we have no examples of hardtops was not sure.

Rest assured she will stay as is. I am only getting it next week, but here are a couple of pics of my Monaco.

20140904_172535_resized_2.jpg

20140904_172635_resized_1.jpg

20140904_172546_resized.jpg

20140904_172653_resized_2.jpg

How about a picture of the dash??
Just to share with other members the unique arrangement Chrysler made to accommodate the RHD rules of that era

Welcome! Very cool car. I agree with the others. The conversion would not be a good idea.

The 66 dash looks very similar to what you guys got. The 67 is quite different though. The red dash is 66 and silver is a 67 in the photos. Will try get a better photo of the 67 dash when I have it in my hands.

V__870C.jpg

20151204_121130_resized[2].jpg

Last edited:
Great reply. Thanks a million. I am not into butchering, because we have no examples of hardtops was not sure.

Rest assured she will stay as is. I am only getting it next week, but here are a couple of pics of my Monaco.

View attachment 70757

View attachment 70758

View attachment 70759

View attachment 70760
Hi and welcome.
I am from Switzerland and have a 67 Dodge Monaco 4 Door Hardtop. I like your wheel tire combination extremely well. Can you tell me which rims, the dimesion as well as the tire size? It looks so fitting. Another question I have is where did you get the exhaust system. I unfortunately only have one pipe to the rear and would like to change that.

That '67 4-dr Monaco that Jayce posted is interesting, I wish he posted more photos. It's right-hand drive, but the dash is completely alien looking (to me anyways) - I wonder where it came from. Steering wheel also different. Also it has front-fender turn signal indicators, yet the rear trunk deck edge trim and "DODGE" letters are missing. It does have Polara style rear lights. It has front bumper guards but not rear. Tires look crazy wide probably too wide for those rims.

the reason the dash is different is because it was easier to use most of the 66 Monaco/Polara dash for the RHD conversion on a 67, it would have been very complicated to remake the 67 LHD instrument cluster to RHD

Back