67 Newport power steering belt

polaratherapy

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Looking for help, I just changed the power steering bracket on my 67 Newport as the old one was basically spreadout with a stone from the previous owner or the previous previous owner.
I have purchased a new bracket (TWR) for the pump I have, the problem is I tighten it all the way and the existing 12348 belt is still loose with the pump reefed up from the bottom and out. Max distance out on the adjusting slot.
So obviously the belt is too long.
I see in another thread Cbarge suggests a 15411 belt but isn't that an even longer belt?
Any help would be greatly appreciated as to what belt size may be the best.

Thanks PT

Not sure if this helps, but it explains how the belt adjustment is done.

The video on the correct way to adjust a Chrysler power steering pump belt, IF the original bracket is still in place and has not been welded up or replaced, is good to know. The orig brackt design allowed the pump to "lean into" the load rather than just squall like the GM belts tended to do, back then. Therefore, the base belt adjustment might appear looser than normal, but also allowed the belt to basically last forever, from my experiences.

The belt specs should be visibly stamped (or silkscreened) into the belt you have. Length x belt width, in inches. Not sure of the brand of belt @cbarge listed or the brand you have, but belt numbers can be different for each brand and are not universal among brands. Which is where the catalogs at www.rockauto.com can come in handy, with their specs and different brands offered.

I'm suspecting you new bracket for the pump is a solid mount pump?

Just some thoughts
CBODY67

The video on the correct way to adjust a Chrysler power steering pump belt, IF the original bracket is still in place and has not been welded up or replaced, is good to know. The orig brackt design allowed the pump to "lean into" the load rather than just squall like the GM belts tended to do, back then. Therefore, the base belt adjustment might appear looser than normal, but also allowed the belt to basically last forever, from my experiences.

The belt specs should be visibly stamped (or silkscreened) into the belt you have. Length x belt width, in inches. Not sure of the brand of belt @cbarge listed or the brand you have, but belt numbers can be different for each brand and are not universal among brands. Which is where the catalogs at www.rockauto.com can come in handy, with their specs and different brands offered.

I'm suspecting you new bracket for the pump is a solid mount pump?

Just some thoughts
CBODY67
CBODY67, yes it's a solid mount TWR type to match the TWR style pump on the car. the present belt is a 12438, I may have mixed my numbers in the original post but it's for sure a 12438; so it's 124 inches and Cbarge mentions that since he changed 4 brackets on 4 cars he's had to use a 15411 belt with the new TWR bracket.
The first 3 digits on a stamped belt indicate lenght, so I need one shorter than the 12438 I assume.
I will use a string tomorrow and find my lenght to see if there is an appropriate belt.
I will check Rock Auto, thanks!

PT

I'm not sure where the orientation of the first three numbers in a belt part number indicate its length, but that is not accurate within one brand, much less across all brands of belts. IF that was true, using the belt numbers quoted, think of the diameter of such a belt under the hood of a car.

For 1968 Chrysler Newport 383, RA quotes: PS with 4.75" pulley Gates 9412XL 41.0 length
PS with 5.50" pulley Gates 9435XL 43.5" length

I know that brake pads have an "industry number" (as many GM cars use "D52" pads), so looking at the Gates belt numbers, perhaps it's the LAST three numbers which denote the belt's length rather than the complete part number itself? The problem is that as the width of the belt gets wider (and does not sit as low in the groove), the belt length will need to be longer to compensate for the "bigger circle" the belt must fit.

Of course, "industry part numbers" would have NO bearing on OEM part numbers, although all OEM belts I've seen have the length specs cast into the belt's outer surface as the part number is inked/silkscreened on the belt.

Check your existing belt length against the PS pump pulley diameters listed above. THAT might be what your fitment issues could be?

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Well as it turns out I have a 5.50" pulley and the belt I have is 44" X 3/8" and when the new TWR bracket is pulled out and up to the max it is still loose.
It's still loose but tight enough to not be able to slip the belt off the pulleys. I think I need a full inch to 1.5 inches shorter in belt lenght to make my rig work.
Any thoughts?

Thanks, PT

Seek to get a belt that will be about 1/2 of the total adjustment slot. Do NOT over-tighten, just enough to keep it quiet.

CBODY67

c

I see the belt CBARGE recomends, the 15411 Goodyear Gatorback is only 41.1 inches which would work.
The above described belt is now under the Continental brand of belt. Still described as a 15411 belt X .5 inches wide.

Back