68 300 tilt wheel conversion

T/A 392

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows if any of the aftermarket steering columns work on a 68 300. My car is a floor shift, so I know finding the correct one is a long shot...

You could always look for a used factory column and rebuild it. Otherwise, one of the universal columns would have to work, I suspect. 1968 was the second model year for the collapsible steering column.

CBODY67

I did as CBody suggests. Not hard. Only advice is to stay away from a complete or deeper rebuild into the tilt mechanism. I understand there is a special tool required to get a complete disassembly. Its been so long I cannot remember all the steps.

You could always look for a used factory column and rebuild it. Otherwise, one of the universal columns would have to work, I suspect. 1968 was the second model year for the collapsible steering column.

CBODY67
Problem is most of them were column shift. My car has a center console shift.

Problem is most of them were column shift. My car has a center console shift.
In that case, a bodyshop can "shave" the column shift attachment area smoooth, then repaint and install. A customer did that to put a '70s Monte Carlo tilt column into a '55 Nomad. When done, it looked like it came from the factory with the GM tilt column in it (and the '55 steering wheel), still using the instrument panel ign switch/lock location. Same wiring color codes on the column electrics, too.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Just wondering if anyone knows if any of the aftermarket steering columns work on a 68 300. My car is a floor shift, so I know finding the correct one is a long shot...
ididit | Custom Steering Columns

I've never used these guys, but heard good things. Chances are you'll need to have one custom made to length.... And you want to avoid the column ignition key.

They don't list a C-Body version, but really, a B-Body column is the same, just the C will be a little longer. Actually the OEM tilt column is really a GM piece, so it should not be an issue.

IMHO, it may be better (and cheaper) to find an OEM, but that might be tough to find. Try Murray Park. Murray B. Park - Used and NOS Parts for Chrysler, Imperial, Dodge, Desoto, and Plymouth

Indeed a floor shift tilt column is a rare piece.
Ask me how I know,lol.
Right up to the mid 80's Chrysler used GM/Saginaw tilt columns but some with Mopar turn signal switches. You xan modify a GM switch to work.
The switches are no longer available and NOS can run up to 400 bu
FYI, B bodies are shorter and Imperial columns are longer.
May look the same but they are not.

20230411_210143.jpg

I had a nice one that I recently sold and sent to Australia.

Do any of you c body gurus know how long the steering column is for a 68 300? Just trying to see what aftermarket ones might work if I can't find an original.

Indeed a floor shift tilt column is a rare piece.
Ask me how I know,lol.
Right up to the mid 80's Chrysler used GM/Saginaw tilt columns but some with Mopar turn signal switches. You xan modify a GM switch to work.
The switches are no longer available and NOS can run up to 400 bu
FYI, B bodies are shorter and Imperial columns are longer.
May look the same but they are not.

View attachment 599636
Just so I'm clear you are saying an imperial column won't work for my 300?

Be advised . . . it was possible to order a new car with a console and a column shifter, back then. If you look in the picture of the factory console in the FSM, there should be (at least in the 1967 Chrysler FSM) a small inset in that illustration, in the upper rh corner area, of the block-off plate which sent into the shifter handle slot on the console, for when a column shift was ordered with a console. That block-off plate is also listed in the deep depths of the Chrysler parts book, too!

Many people "of typical Chrysler owner age", back then, still considered "a floor shift" a mark of "a cheap car", rather than "sporty" or "performance-oriented"(with no "sloppy linkages") as younger people would have back then. Column shifters were introduced well after floor shifters was around. At that time, a column shift automatic was an upscale situation. Along with other related things.

CBODY67

Be advised . . . it was possible to order a new car with a console and a column shifter, back then. If you look in the picture of the factory console in the FSM, there should be (at least in the 1967 Chrysler FSM) a small inset in that illustration, in the upper rh corner area, of the block-off plate which sent into the shifter handle slot on the console, for when a column shift was ordered with a console. That block-off plate is also listed in the deep depths of the Chrysler parts book, too!

Many people "of typical Chrysler owner age", back then, still considered "a floor shift" a mark of "a cheap car", rather than "sporty" or "performance-oriented"(with no "sloppy linkages") as younger people would have back then. Column shifters were introduced well after floor shifters was around. At that time, a column shift automatic was an upscale situation. Along with other related things.

CBODY67
That would also be true if you opted for the standard 3 speed column shift.

Back