'68 Fury convertible top cover question

Zaggart

Reaction score
Hey All,

Last year at a "Cars & Coffee" one of the guys running the show noticed that my snap on boot cover wasn't connected to my seat back. As it is now the vinyl piece the top rests on in the trunk is pressed into the metal channel with a rubber strip (I removed it a little to take a look). He said that part usually attaches to the seat back below the metal channel (snaps/screws or whatever) so the boot cover can fit into the metal channel. The cover does have a lip similar to the rubber strip but it doesn't appear to be in any danger of flying off while driving, etc. Is he correct or does the cover usually not touch the seat back?

vinyl_boot.jpg

Is there a corresponding channel on the top of the rear seat?

Yeah, there's a channel on top of the metal piece in the pic where the rubber strip is peeking out from. But it doesn't have room for both the trunk strip and top strip.

Hey All,

Last year at a "Cars & Coffee" one of the guys running the show noticed that my snap on boot cover wasn't connected to my seat back. As it is now the vinyl piece the top rests on in the trunk is pressed into the metal channel with a rubber strip (I removed it a little to take a look). He said that part usually attaches to the seat back below the metal channel (snaps/screws or whatever) so the boot cover can fit into the metal channel. The cover does have a lip similar to the rubber strip but it doesn't appear to be in any danger of flying off while driving, etc. Is he correct or does the cover usually not touch the seat back?

View attachment 590068

Not sure how different '68 is from '65, but they should be very similar. Here's a pic of how the top well liner is attached. The boot cover will slide into the metal channel at the top of the strip.

1680643138383.jpeg

The finished appearance should be like this...

1680643325438.png

Is that cover meant to stay semi-permanently attached to that groove on the back of the seat? It's a real pain sliding the rubber through that channel every time you want to install it.

Not sure how different '68 is from '65, but they should be very similar. Here's a pic of how the top well liner is attached. The boot cover will slide into the metal channel at the top of the strip.

View attachment 590113

The finished appearance should be like this...

View attachment 590114
Thanks! That makes more sense. In your first pic is the "trunk vinyl" attached behind the metal trim piece on the back of the seat, or is it tucked down into the space behind the seat?

Is that cover meant to stay semi-permanently attached to that groove on the back of the seat? It's a real pain sliding the rubber through that channel every time you want to install it.
Yes.

All I do is tuck the boot into the well when I raise the top. If you're not feeling like crawling into the back seat (and your back hurts), you can stop the top about straight up and tuck the boot in the top so it falls into the well. I have a success rate of about 75% doing that.

Thanks! That makes more sense. In your first pic is the "trunk vinyl" attached behind the metal trim piece on the back of the seat, or is it tucked down into the space behind the seat?
It is glued to top of the brace at the lower seat back and then tucked down behind the seat. It does not attach to seat as that would not allow you to easily remove the seat back.

Yes.

All I do is tuck the boot into the well when I raise the top. If you're not feeling like crawling into the back seat (and your back hurts), you can stop the top about straight up and tuck the boot in the top so it falls into the well. I have a success rate of about 75% doing that.
That's an excellent idea as I too have back issues. I'll have to experiment with that.

Back