68 Fury drum to disc conversion

Bvmarchisotto

Reaction score
I am in the process of converting the front to discs. I have spindles and 2 piece rotors off of a 72 fury.

Are the 2 piece rotors interchangeable with the one piece rotors?

It seems the 73 spindle is preferred? Why is this? What changed in 73? Is it one year only?

Are all control arms and other suspension components the same? I do not have control arms off the car but still have access to them. I will likely rebuild control arms at this time as well so if the 68’s are the same I will just use them.

I converted to pwr master last year after finally locating a pedal for it.

thanks for all help in advance. There is not much of a following for these C body cars so finding info can be challenging.

Not sure if you saw the whole thread in the brakes section. Lots of good information in there. It is pinned to the top of the forum.

Thanks for the replies welder guy and Cag70polaraConvert . So it seems the only benefit to the 73 spindles is the availability of the rotors? Seems the bearings and spindle are bigger, but I am assuming there is not a safety issue with the earlier spindles and bearings being smaller?

Beyond my expertise, which is zero. I have been considering the swap on my polara but haven't done so as of yet.

Twp piece and single cast rotors will interchange without problems as long as they are for the proper application. The control arms for single piston calipers are the same. The brake booster is a Bendix dual diaphragm unit for disc brakes. It is not the same as the single diaphragm unit used on drum brakes. Proper dual diaphragm booster for you application is from a '68-'70- disc brake system. Also fits some '71 models. You will also need to install a brake proportioning valve or a factory metering valve to re-balance the brake system.

Dave

Back