68 fury iii belts

Reaction score
I can not figure out which power steering belt I need it show three different size mine is a 318 motor I’m struggling with it trying to figure it out back and forth to auto parts any help would be great it says something about 5in pulley or 4 in etc

The easiest is to see if there's a part number on the old belt and have the store cross the number to their brands...

The next easiest is to take the old belt and measure it. The easiest way is to cut it and measure, but you can do it without cutting with a tape measure... and a cloth tape like a dressmaker would use is really handy for that. If you don't cut it, that leaves the old belt as a spare to toss in the trunk.

If you don't have the old belt, I've taken an old belt that's already cut and used that to wrap around the pulleys and mark it and measure... Then you have the length and just figure out what belt comes close to your measurement. Go to Rock Auto's website and click on the belts to see the lengths.

The next way involves measuring your pulley...

I can not figure out which power steering belt I need it show three different size mine is a 318 motor I’m struggling with it trying to figure it out back and forth to auto parts any help would be great it says something about 5in pulley or 4 in etc
I am curious if the different pulley sizes are for different manufacturers of pumps? Just speculation. Are they easy to measure? I see 4 7/8, 5 and 5 3/8 listed. The 4 7/8 and 5" are the same one I would imagine. A belt wouldn't know 1/8" of an inch when a adjuster is involved.

I am curious if the different pulley sizes are for different manufacturers of pumps? Just speculation. Are they easy to measure? I see 4 7/8, 5 and 5 3/8 listed. The 4 7/8 and 5" are the same one I would imagine. A belt wouldn't know 1/8" of an inch when a adjuster is involved.
Yea, I think that there are at least two different pumps, possibly as many as four... They may even be fitting a Saginaw pump. I think one factor is if the car has AC or not.

Funny thing is that when I've gone through this before to find the correct pump, (my '65 Barracuda for example) they used the diameter of the pump reservoir rather than pulley diameter. The 4 7/8 is one of the reservoir sizes.

Of course, in 54 years, who knows what has been changed on this car. I really like to go by belt length as the "end all" spec rather than application. As long as it fits with the adjustment about in the center of its range, I'm pretty happy. My Chrysler actually has industrial spec'd belts as the new, correct part number Gates belts are slightly narrower than the OEM belts and the long twin belts around the AC, water pump and alternator squealed like crazy with the narrower belts.

Yea, I think that there are at least two different pumps, possibly as many as four... They may even be fitting a Saginaw pump. I think one factor is if the car has AC or not.

Funny thing is that when I've gone through this before to find the correct pump, (my '65 Barracuda for example) they used the diameter of the pump reservoir rather than pulley diameter. The 4 7/8 is one of the reservoir sizes.

Of course, in 54 years, who knows what has been changed on this car. I really like to go by belt length as the "end all" spec rather than application. As long as it fits with the adjustment about in the center of its range, I'm pretty happy. My Chrysler actually has industrial spec'd belts as the new, correct part number Gates belts are slightly narrower than the OEM belts and the long twin belts around the AC, water pump and alternator squealed like crazy with the narrower belts.
Matched set's are important for dual belts. I don't know if they offer them any more.

Matched set's are important for dual belts. I don't know if they offer them any more.
They haven't for many years now and the belts I've bought are obviously not as equal in length.

Big thing for my car was the belt width. The OEM belts are 7/16" (.437") and the new belts are .41" which is very close to 10.5mm and I believe that when they started spec'ing belts for newer cars, they went to the metric standards with that being "close enough". Throw some pulley wear in and the belts just don't work out well for me. I found some industrial belts that are true 7/16" and work much better.... In reality, these belts probably won't last as long, but with the cars limited use, I think they are fine.

BTW, the belts I take off ALWAYS go in the trunk as spares. Easy to change a belt in a parking lot, but often hard to get the right belt at O' Advanced Auto Zone.

I like the John's idea below. I worked for NAPA and Advance. If they have the right belt length, they can match it. NAPA belts used to be higher quality than Advance. Gates was the maker for NAPA. Not sure if that is still true.

If you don't have the old belt, I've taken an old belt that's already cut and used that to wrap around the pulleys and mark it and measure... Then you have the length and just figure out what belt comes close to your measurement. Go to Rock Auto's website and click on the belts to see the lengths.

Back