68 Plymouth Fury Wagon Rear Springs

crazyboutwagons

Reaction score
I have been wanting to replace the rear springs in the wagon. They are completely flat with very little arch. The previous owner put air shocks on the car to compensate, I replaced the air lines a couple years ago because there was a small leak over time. Last year I had to air them up everytime I took car out as it would scape the new NOS rear bumper I put on 2 yrs ago.
I have contacted a couple local spring shops first one does not make new springs they buy the from some distributor out of eastern Pa. The second suggested re-arching the originals which to me is a waste of time/money if going to all that work to remove just replace them.

I looked on the build sheet and it lists a different spring on left side (377) versus the right side(376) .in a search of spring numbers I found only one listing of #2585651 for SW only standard spring. and # 2585249 for SW only Hd. Also the springs on the car now are 5 leafs on drivers side and 6 leafs on passenger side. my question is the setup on the car now factory correct. I think maybe that's the reason for 2 different numbers listed on the build sheet.

Also found the rear end is leaking when I crawled under the car toout the springs. going to address that first. My mechanic is going to drop the driveshaft pull the center section and axle shafts .Going to check the pinion seal. He is going to check axle bearings & seal and replace if needed. I said might as well replace the u-joints while we are at it and replace the gasket and hope that takes care of the leak. any suggestions on anything else to do. I am recovering from Rotor Cuff /Bicep tear surgery so I cant do any work can't lift anything.

I get my springs from ESPO or Springs n Things.
The lady on the phone knows her stuff!!
If you are going through all that effort,go with new springs.

It is not uncommon to see two different part numbers on the spring listing from Chrysler.
Ditto having an extra leaf on the right side from factory.
Think about it..When you hit the gas,the left front of the car goes up and the right rear squats down from the torque.
Just like the Super stock springs were engineered to keep the car straight at take off when going down the track.
For your wagon I recommend a 1 inch over stock height and go 7 leafs both sides.
Then you can go with he KYB Gas-a-just shocks.
When you remove your old springs,they will have t he part number stamped on them.

I have contacted a couple local spring shops first one does not make new springs they buy the from some distributor out of eastern Pa. The second suggested re-arching the originals which to me is a waste of time/money if going to all that work to remove just replace them.

I looked on the build sheet and it lists a different spring on left side (377) versus the right side(376) .in a search of spring numbers I found only one listing of #2585651 for SW only standard spring. and # 2585249 for SW only Hd. Also the springs on the car now are 5 leafs on drivers side and 6 leafs on passenger side. my question is the setup on the car now factory correct. I think maybe that's the reason for 2 different numbers listed on the build sheet.

I am recovering from Rotor Cuff /Bicep tear surgery so I cant do any work can't lift anything.

Well you certainly have more than a couple shops to deal with in your hood, I'd be making some more phone calls! pittsburg auto spring shops at DuckDuckGo
I believe the reason for 2 different springs is to compensate for twist of the drivetrain when accelerating, the HD springs are stiffer than the others providing less flex. I know the drill on shoulder surgery, I have 4 screws from being a repeat discolator. Enjoy the drugs and do what the physical terrorist says to do, and it's still going to hurt like a ****. Good Luck

The first thing I do on an older car I acquire is replace the springs. I've now done 3 70 convertibles and 2 71 hardtop. All came from www.ESPO.com aka Springs & Things. Some I replaced to factory spec'd amount of springs others I went with 7 leafs. ALL i went with the optional 1" over stock height. They do offer the 2" which is way too much and stock height which is too flat in my opinion.
Laura at espo is as mentioned awfully knowledgeable. She will help you greatly when ordering.

I suggest replacing all hardware and bushings while apart . . Be careful of the shackle bolts. They seem to be weaker than the others and break rather easily.
You can do this job In a day on your back with basic tools. Of course, if you are painting, degreasing and replacing brakes while there the day turns into weeks.
Good luck ...

I have recently bought a pair of MOOG replacement shackles with all the bushings and bolts the box's are a bit shelf worn. When I do the springs I will replace everything with new be a bit expensive but done once and done. I talked to ESPO a couple months ago they asked questions I didn't have answers to I took pictures of everything yesterday and intend to call them back.

As to the shoulder everybody I talked to said the pain was huge part of recovery. I was off the drugs 3 days after surgery and only take Tylenol as needed I do rehab exercises twice a day at home except 2 days when I go to actual PT facility. It will be 12 weeks Friday since surgery.

As to the shoulder everybody I talked to said the pain was huge part of recovery. I was off the drugs 3 days after surgery and only take Tylenol as needed I do rehab exercises twice a day at home except 2 days when I go to actual PT facility. It will be 12 weeks Friday since surgery.

Kind of sounds like the same drill I went through.

Have you tried Point Spring on Neville Island or Keystone Spring 35th St in Lawrenceville? I hope your recovery is going well. It's almost cruise season.

Yes point spring is the one who orders from a distributor but has no attaching hardware available. I talked to someone today who suggested a guy in glassport/McKeesport area he couldn't remember the name he was going to look through his business card files and get me contact info. Recovery is going as planned be about another 3 months or so to be near complete recovery. Had car out Sunday to blow out the cobwebs of winter. Mrfury68 maybe see you soon around the area.

Ray’s Spring Shop in Glassport. I know they do truck springs but the owner is into restoring old Cadillacs. Being a “car guy” he may have a source for what you need. Sorry I didn’t mention him in my earlier reply. Totally slipped my mind.

Bet the first shop is buying from ESPO. As others suggested, they are the way to go.

IMHO, re-arching the springs is a waste of time and money. Go with new instead.

Bought a set from ESPO 2years ago.
They out priced local shops EVEN WITH SHIPPING INCLUDED!! Very happy with the quality. Very knowledgeable people and great to deal with!

Same here. I went with Espo's. I'm happy with them. Price and all the bolts and stuff $423 shipping included. Very good quality. They were helpful and easy to work with

Back