68 Polara brake advice

Ffranzwa

Reaction score
Hi all. 35 years ago, I bought a 68 Polara 500 convertible (H code 383, buckets/console, original B5 blue over blue). Now that I'm 60, it's time to start on this one and my Dad's 66 300 2 door ht and the starting point for both is brakes. I need advice on a quality replacement for 11" drum brakes, a master cylinder and a set of 10 left hand wheel studs (you can guess what happened there-again, I'm 60). Thanks

Hi all. 35 years ago, I bought a 68 Polara 500 convertible (H code 383, buckets/console, original B5 blue over blue). Now that I'm 60, it's time to start on this one and my Dad's 66 300 2 door ht and the starting point for both is brakes. I need advice on a quality replacement for 11" drum brakes, a master cylinder and a set of 10 left hand wheel studs (you can guess what happened there-again, I'm 60). Thanks
Check with Craig - @mobileparts .

Your '68 Polara most likely has 11 x 2 3/4" front drums and 11 x 2" rear drums but it could have wider drums if it had a towing package or heavy duty brakes.
The '66 300 should have 11 x 3" front drums and 11 x 2 1/2" rear drums. The 11 x 3 front drums are hard to find as are good quality brake shoes.
I have a set of old stock new re-manufactured 11 x 2/ 3/4" brake shoes that I will sell to you. I also have new old stock replacement 11 x 2 3/4 front drums and 11 x 2 rear drums that I would sell if you need them.
You can find the lug nuts at NAPA or on eBay. As for Master Cylinders, send your out to get rebuilt or find new ones. Don't bother with parts store rebuilt master cylinders as they tend to be junk.

Your '68 Polara most likely has 11 x 2 3/4" front drums and 11 x 2" rear drums but it could have wider drums if it had a towing package or heavy duty brakes.
The '66 300 should have 11 x 3" front drums and 11 x 2 1/2" rear drums. The 11 x 3 front drums are hard to find as are good quality brake shoes.
I have a set of old stock new re-manufactured 11 x 2/ 3/4" brake shoes that I will sell to you. I also have new old stock replacement 11 x 2 3/4 front drums and 11 x 2 rear drums that I would sell if you need them.
You can find the lug nuts at NAPA or on eBay. As for Master Cylinders, send your out to get rebuilt or find new ones. Don't bother with parts store rebuilt master cylinders as they tend to be junk.
Thanks for the reply. I measured the front drum and they appear to be 3". The brake linings look okay and the wheel cylinders are not leaking, The car has been sitting in the garage for a long time and the master cylinder went dry so I'm going to try some new fluid and a brake bleed. If the master is bad, can you recommend a quality rebuild kit?

Thanks for the reply. I measured the front drum and they appear to be 3". The brake linings look okay and the wheel cylinders are not leaking, The car has been sitting in the garage for a long time and the master cylinder went dry so I'm going to try some new fluid and a brake bleed. If the master is bad, can you recommend a quality rebuild kit?

Measure the width of the shoes as well.

I still have drum brakes on my 66 Polara. Added a brake booster and dual bowl master cylinder and she brakes great.

Back