68 Polara restore back on

Both the front speaker and the rear pair are 4 ohms and should be able to handle up to 85 watts amplification. They are pretty standard.

I will have to check and see what the radio conversions are capable of.

Maybe a little premature, but pulled the new carpet out of the attic. I ordered it in July of 2007.

I need to let it rest awhile after being rolled up for more than 10 years.
E3870CC2-EBA2-4B5B-91D0-4022487FAA87.jpeg

Ouch, missing bumpers would really suck - I assume they would still be wearing all their mounting brackets and such so even more costly to replace.

I talked to the guy at North Star Plating about my trim pieces. The 6 month time for pot metal plating has turned into 10 months, but promised by the end of this month. It seems the grill tabs and repair is giving them issues. They are on the table now.

The good news is that when I find my bumpers he will work out a deal for me for waiting so long. He said bumpers are less than 3 months turn around time. Even if they have been wrapped around a telephone pole. Much easier than Pot Metal.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. This one took about 8 hours or so taking my time and by myself. (I also had to make a store run) Not sure if having help would have sped up the process or not. A hand here or there couldn't hurt, but spring clamps and long arms help. Slow and steady, no glue or trimming until you are sure. I think the next time (at least in the next 2 years) if I had to do another, I could probably do it in 1/2 the time.
Have on hand: Heavy strength spray adhesive for the insulation, Brush on Contact Cement or Headliner glue (I hate the over-spray potential, but masking is an option) You really only want the glue on the outside edges.

The good news is that when I find my bumpers he will work out a deal for me for waiting so long. He said bumpers are less than 3 months turn around time. Even if they have been wrapped around a telephone pole. Much easier than Pot Metal.

I've never used these guys, but others have recommended their service. 4-6 weeks average turn. They don't do pot metal though...
http://www.tricityplating.com/bumper-cores-price-list/

North Star is only about 2 hours from me in Brainerd MN. Nice people to talk to and they gave me a tour of their classic plating process as well as their after market modern vehicle process. They seem to have a lot of repeat customers. Plus I don't have to ship parts halfway across the country. As long as I have my smalls by Thanksgiving and my bumpers by spring, I am good with it. Plus if he cuts me a deal on the bumpers due to the delay even better.

North Star Plating
Nice video on their process as well as a price book

Last edited:
North Star is only about 2 hours from me in Brainerd MN. Nice people to talk to and they gave me a tour of their classic plating process as well as their after market modern vehicle process. They seem to have a lot of repeat customers. Plus I don't have to ship parts halfway across the country. As long as I have my smalls by Thanksgiving and my bumpers by spring, I am good with it. Plus if he cuts me a deal on the bumpers due to the delay even better.

North Star Plating
Nice video on their process as well as a price book
They raised their prices waaaay back when they bought out/took over the previous owners, but they have a good reputation from what I've heard and seen. Tri City has the same reputation and quality.

A new shiny bumper always looks good!

They raised their prices waaaay back when they bought out/took over the previous owners, but they have a good reputation from what I've heard and seen. Tri City has the same reputation and quality.

A new shiny bumper always looks good!
I have used Tri-City Plating, Workmanship and finish is good. Realistic turnaround time more like more like 8 to 12 weeks.

Putting in my rear qtr window. I haven’t decided if it is a spectacular engineering feat or just a contraption.

The service manual says just put it in and line up the rollers. Easier said than done. Now that I have it in, I am trying to put the spring nuts on the roller stem. I need to figure out a tool and small clamp to get that damn spring but seated. I think I have had enough fun for today.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Just in case I get some Magnum 500 road wheels for Christmas, I have the lug nuts. Right and left. I suppose I should look into center caps next.

37CD399C-CE9E-4AD9-8E9E-244F8AE2CB41.jpeg

Putting in my rear qtr window. I haven’t decided if it is a spectacular engineering feat or just a contraption.

The service manual says just put it in and line up the rollers. Easier said than done. Now that I have it in, I am trying to put the spring nuts on the roller stem. I need to figure out a tool and small clamp to get that damn spring but seated. I think I have had enough fun for today.
View attachment 219698 View attachment 219699
Watch it fall into place when you come back to it. Happened to me more than once.

I think I have a set of center caps...... may be repro tho.

Well my wheels would probably be reproduced as well.
Or I could just get a chrome dust cap and put the shiny lug nuts on my steel wheels.:D

image.jpg

I'd love to see an old film of them installing the widows and regulators on the assembly line.

I'd love to see an old film of them installing the widows and regulators on the assembly line.
That would be great to see their tricks.
My thought is that the rear quarters are installed before the headliner. The top of the quarter window rubs on the headliner to lift it high enough to get it in the channel.

The other qtr window tip I have is to put the rollers on the front channel. Set the front channel into its holes to hold it out of the way until the window is in the cavity. Get the window in, rotate it forward to get the rear slider on the guide rail. Bring the window down and then remove the front rail from its holes and install the rollers in in the channel. Reinstall the front rail and the rest is much easier.
Now I have to clean up my roof rail retainers, install them, install roof rail seals and adjust windows.
I am thinking that will take most of the day.

Back