68 Polara restore back on

Member's Projects & Restorations

1. HWYCRZR

HWYCRZR Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

My Photo Garage
    Giving my carburetor adjustments a once over to make sure it is ready to go. Set my vacuum kick adjustment for my choke. Now wishing I had an exhaust gas analyzer for setting my carb mixture. I guess I will have to get all my other settings down and rely on on my nose to get the air fuel ratio correct. Think I can smell the difference between 14.0 and 14.2?
    BB8B906C-4A18-4CE6-AF3C-B6650D526264.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  2. HWYCRZR

My Photo Garage
    I have some parts coming in the next week or so. A new dipstick tube ribbed vacuum hose, a replacement wiper washer hose, 4 panel seat belt webbing, and an Aurora radio conversion kit.
    I started talking to a windshield replacement company to install my glass. He has one guy that he will assign to this. He was kind of hesitant because they didn’t supply the glass and can’t guarantee against breakage. I sent him the installation information from the FSM. He wanted to make sure his guy was comfortable installing it. I am ok with a little caution and knowing that he would be scheduling his best guy.

• Like Like x 3
  3. HWYCRZR

My Photo Garage
    Why didn’t someone tell me I had my spark plug wires on backwards? The distributor runs counter clockwise. Sorted out now. I was checking my point gap and trying to get the distributor set close to where it should be to start and happened to look at the firing order and saw the counter clockwise reference.
    image.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  4. LocuMob

LocuMob Fluid Technician with a hat FCBO Gold Member

My Photo Garage
    If it's anything like my '66, it practically falls right in. It took about ten minutes for th guys to install it in my car. Prep time took longer, and your car is already prepped. The only thing my installers were not sure of was wether to use butyl or not, they didn't and I had slight leaks on the bottom on both sides. They have offered to reinstall with the goop for free. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  5. HWYCRZR

My Photo Garage
    Yes it seems to need that "polyethylene" seal around the rim prior to the rubber seal to help fill the dimples in the metal. Is polyethylene the same as butyl ? To me butyl is the rubberized window seal. When I search polyethylene seal, I get results for a pvc closed cell foam. I am not up on all the lingo.
    I did find some rolls of that online 3/8 or 1/2" x 1/16" thick, which seems to be similar material to what is shown in the book.
    JVCC SCF-01 Single Coated PVC Foam Tape [low density] They also have medium density

• Like Like x 1
  6. LocuMob

My Photo Garage
    Poly is probably the right one. I never remember chemical names, or what material is made out of.

I know they hemmed and hawed about using the stuff in a caulk gun. I told them that every windshield that I've seen installed (two), had the goop used. They went back and forth, and when they said they'd reinstall it for free, I said ok.

• Like Like x 1
  7. HWYCRZR

My Photo Garage
    instructions say to install the Poly seal, they are pretty specific about the direction and butt joint at the bottom and a 1" overlap at the top. Then you are supposed to run a bead of caulk down each side corner down around the lower radius. You are also supposed to caulk / glue the groove of rubber seal to the windshield. This from the service manual. The new seal also came with instructions to use 3 M sealant.

• Like Like x 1
  8. LocuMob

My Photo Garage
    I'll have to check out my FSM.