68 Polara restore back on

View attachment 443949
what are you showing us in this picture? I can’t figure it out.
Excuse my terminology, I don’t have my SM or parts book in front of me.
Those are the little plastic hats that help support the gearshift tube in the steering column. Every time I would secure the steering column to the dash frame and firewall there was enough pulling that the lower hats / support would pop out. Even if if one would pop out, the shift tube is supported by the upper collar in the column, which probably has some wear after 52 years, and the lower steering bearing. I used the zip tie to keep the support hats secure and in place so they wouldn’t pop out when reinstalling and attaching the steering column.
I kept the zip tie in place as it shouldn’t hurt anything and keep them from popping out if I get a little heavy handed when shifting to drive.
You can see the little hats next to the turn signal harness.
54D44585-0384-4A41-957E-8D03385A7244.jpeg

Last edited:
Finally put my last piece of stainless on today. If you didn’t know that it belongs there you would never really know that it was missing. It was a little dinged up and bent from me not removing the dash panels right back in 2006. Anyway I found an old tv mount that had a C-channel about the right size. A little hammering, finessing, sanding, and polishing it looks presentable again. Like I said not very noticeable, but helps align both pieces.
E8890973-A4C4-45A3-9E08-CDA7B824F723.jpeg
image.jpg

Finally put my last piece of stainless on today. If you didn’t know that it belongs there you would never really know that it was missing. It was a little dinged up and bent from me not removing the dash panels right back in 2006. Anyway I found an old tv mount that had a C-channel about the right size. A little hammering, finessing, sanding, and polishing it looks presentable again. Like I said not very noticeable, but helps align both pieces.
View attachment 461429 View attachment 461430

It's funny how we like to be critical of our own work.
A blind man would love to see this.:lol:

Looks very good!:thumbsup:

Ok one more final touch up that has been bothering me for a few years. The detailing of the Fratzoz emblem by the Polara badge.
I blacked out the edges of the Polara badge, but could never find a good example of how the Fratzog emblem was detailed. And without any detailing it was just shiny and not much depth. (Yes it bugged me) Finally last summer I saw an original ‘67 Polara that still had some detailing on it. It was detailed as expected. I didn’t feel like taking my inner sail panels off to remove the emblem to paint. Masking tape was my friend. It was either stupid or brave attempting black paint on a white top. But detailed taping worked out ok. I masked then covered the car with a paint drop cloth. Sprayed on the gloss black trim paint, and wiped the emblem off with an acetone covered rag wrapped around cardboard. Wipes of the high spots but leaving the black paint in the grooves. It actually adds a lot of depth. Probably Ibam the only one that will notice.

Original sample.
7E9BB3F1-F3CD-492C-857E-E4BF50986448.jpeg

Mine un detailed
C1423B50-58F7-4EBF-BFB8-0F13FDAACA92.jpeg

627E7467-FFC1-49ED-AC6A-18A0EE2F6203.jpeg
832F3E4D-E292-4504-A9AC-D9EB8D9E9525.jpeg
F102FAB7-F818-4F61-B868-D59D358DCCB9.jpeg

mask job. In the center was a *****.

52CB0356-84D4-4A58-9024-64586D5487FB.jpeg

Final detail.
41680234-0468-4407-A6D2-98DBF08178C9.jpeg

Yup, I would have been nervous too, but it looks great!

It's likely that I would have used a narrow brush and model paint rather than the potentially disastrous use of spray.

Well done, regardless!

I've just read through the entire Thread. Amazing work you did!
I admire the attention to details! Hat's off!

Back