68 Polara restore back on

Other updates.
Detailed and installed my side marker lights. The rears were a little more difficult as the lenses don’t easily come out, so had to tape the lenses before painting the black and had to be careful with the wipe.
Wrapped and ran my rear speaker wires. I used the vinyl friction tape, so it looked like it belongs. I used trailer light wiring. 16 gauge, 4 wires bonded together.
Also took my roof rail trim back to the shop to get a better paint match. I took my old sail panel in which the backside was a perfect match. Metallic and everything. They shot it with their match gun and made up a sample they could not find a direct match in the system or on an existing paint chip. First batch was close, but add a little more red and gold and came out perfect. Also color matched my front kick panels which are also different from the dash and roof trim. Will paint the package tray the same color.

224B70B0-4979-4717-B317-48731DF71D19.jpeg
FB2923E7-D1EA-4A01-863F-D58C04DFB8D2.jpeg

image.jpg

Bumper update.
The body shop officially lost my bumpers and spare tire (rim). After being there working off and on for 11 years they were bound to loose something. It didn’t help that they moved to a different town about 8 miles away. It seems that they sold their old building last year. When they were cleaning it out they didn’t realize my bumpers were still over there and got lost in the shuffle.
They offered to pay for new cores. Thankfully North Star plating has one front bumper no extensions and 3 rear bumpers. They will send me pictures so I can verify that they are in fact Polara bumpers. I do have good pictures of my old ones.
As soon as I get these started plating I am sure they will stumble across my old ones. In three months hopefully I will have “new” bumpers. End of February?
That sucks, man but definitely great that they are going to make it right. Can’t wait to see those on there!

Oh yeah, double the time for Northstar to get those bumpers done, that way if they come earlier, it's a bonus.

If they are ready in early April that would be fine as well. Although He (North Star) did say that bumper time lines are more accurate than the pot metal. They can schedule more accurate production times on the bumpers. The pot metal seems to give them surprises, so not as accurate.

Other updates.
Detailed and installed my side marker lights. The rears were a little more difficult as the lenses don’t easily come out, so had to tape the lenses before painting the black and had to be careful with the wipe.
Wrapped and ran my rear speaker wires. I used the vinyl friction tape, so it looked like it belongs. I used trailer light wiring. 16 gauge, 4 wires bonded together.
Also took my roof rail trim back to the shop to get a better paint match. I took my old sail panel in which the backside was a perfect match. Metallic and everything. They shot it with their match gun and made up a sample they could not find a direct match in the system or on an existing paint chip. First batch was close, but add a little more red and gold and came out perfect. Also color matched my front kick panels which are also different from the dash and roof trim. Will paint the package tray the same color.

View attachment 231489 View attachment 231490
View attachment 231493

Is that dark paint color custom made or chosen from an existing paint chart? Any way, it looks nice and smooth.

The body color or the trim paint on the bezels?

Body color is the original Burgundy Metallic (RR1) in modern paint and clear. (Nason, used to be DuPont)
The bezel accent paint is the SEM Trim Black 39143. Kind of a matte or low gloss black.

In my part of the world we do not have HOA dimwits in rural Oregon. The county does have code enforcement but as long as there are not more than 2 disassembled/derelict vehicles on the property it is not a code violation and they will not issue citations unless unless non-compliance exists for more than 90 days. I have more that the legal limit most of the time, but it is mostly a matter having a good relationship with the neighbors and having the offense out of site. (I can have all the junkers I want so long as they are "under cover"). That would mean inside some type of structure. The one POS libtard that moved into the area from Kalifornika only last about 6 months, seems he was appalled by sunny days sounding like a Viet Nam era fire fight from all of us Rednecks checking sights. (All perfectly legal)

Dave

I couldn’t deal with my dash not quite being the right color and texture so I ordered some paint from 47784paint1. Chas mixed up the proper Aztec Maroon Metallic Suede. I sprayed it on and it now has the right color, look and the rougher texture that I remember.
6CB0087E-37AD-46DE-B5BF-F0278542BE7C.jpeg
C0789424-141F-4142-BDF6-A5AC22F5D9BF.jpeg

I couldn’t deal with my dash not quite being the right color and texture so I ordered some paint from 47784paint1. Chas mixed up the proper Aztec Maroon Metallic Suede. I sprayed it on and it now has the right color, look and the rougher texture that I remember.
View attachment 237380 View attachment 237381

That ``Suede`` caught my eyes. Which brand makes them nowadays? BTW, I have to again say that the part looks good!

That ``Suede`` caught my eyes. Which brand makes them nowadays? BTW, I have to again say that the part looks good!

The shop that did my paint said they couldn’t spray the suede through their guns.
This was a special mix that he has refined to match and put in spray cans from 47784paint1. He told me what brand he used, but I cannot recall right now. (Maybe PPG). Not the cheapest in the world at $65 for two cans ($15 was shipping), but I think I got my money’s worth. He will also mix up pints or quarts.
Not sure if he can ship to Europe though. Or if he would reveal his recipe.
He was very helpful over the phone and willing to work with my body guys if needed.

Last edited:
The shop that did my paint said they couldn’t spray the suede through their guns.
This was a special mix that he has refined to match and put in spray cans from 47784paint1. He told me what brand he used, but I cannot recall right now. (Maybe PPG). Not the cheapest in the world at $65 for two cans ($15 was shipping), but I think I got my money’s worth. He will also mix up pints or quarts.
Not sure if he can ship to Europe though. Or if he would reveal his recipe.
He was very helpful over the phone and willing to work with my body guys if needed.

We have two automotive paint shops close to home, so it´s not a problem. I was asking due to being curious.

I think I will take a break from my seats and start wiring my dash today.

Rear seat cushions quilted and rear seat bench inserts are sewn together. I am going to complete my rear seats before starting on the front. Going from least visible to most visible. Rear bench, rear back, front back, and then front bench. By the time I get to the fronts I should have some of the tricks figured out. Link to the seat build below.
Epic 68 Polara bench seat rebuild for originality
330FA186-08C3-427D-97D4-81719F2B4376.jpeg
56956D71-DF88-47F5-A69E-4DFD8D7CE211.jpeg

Dash frame wired. Switches in.
My low profile speaker was a little tight. I had to take a chisel to the top opening of the speaker to knock it down about 1/8” so it would fit. If they would have used a solid stamping instead of trying to make it cool by stamping flames in the surround it would fit.
972D6B40-2385-4DD4-B9C2-D4C3B29C4096.jpeg
F4E45D0E-6047-454B-B702-AE008235B75D.jpeg
CF4B5E79-DBDD-4DF5-84AD-197ECB75AFD2.jpeg
7DE62D61-1ECB-453E-A8B3-20BDFEF287B5.jpeg

Dash frame and top pad in. Defrost vents connected. Tomorrow I may plug in the battery and double check my switches. Bulkhead connector in and connected.

449F4DF5-2E31-4082-884A-BF684EB82159.jpeg
341C04EA-3CBC-4AC1-A63F-DF9DE56A53E1.jpeg
477D5169-27C2-4DE4-91F7-8441FB680846.jpeg

Looks great. I see your tool box in the background, do you have the matching lower to it? I have the same model Snap On box with a couple of small side boxes hanging on it.

Looks great. I see your tool box in the background, do you have the matching lower to it? I have the same model Snap On box with a couple of small side boxes hanging on it.

Have top and bottom. I bought it used from the Snap-on guy in 1988. He let me pay a week at a time and threw in a new lid and locks. I thought that was a good deal when I was making $5 per hour. No side boxes though.
image.jpg

Back