68 Polara WIW?

azblackhemi

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to buy a 68 Polara from a buddy. We're both trying to come up with a price that's fair to both of us so I'm looking for input on value. The good, it's a HP 383 car. It's a driver as it is. Seats have been redone and rest of interior is decent. The bad, rust in bottom of quarters. Was an Idaho car. Trunk floor and rear window area are good he says. Was a vinyl top car but it's been removed. Obviously needs paint and of course there is the green issue. I haven't seen it yet as it's in northern Utah presently. My opinion in today's market is between $5 & 6000. What does everyone think?
IMG_20220809_062515.jpg
IMG_20220809_062523.jpg
IMG_20220809_062528.jpg
IMG_20220809_062540.jpg
IMG_20220809_062546.jpg
IMG_20220809_062553.jpg
IMG_20220809_062605.jpg
IMG_20220809_062610.jpg
IMG_20220809_062535.jpg
IMG_20220809_062602.jpg

Yea, not worth $5/6K.

$4k is even a little high, but depends on the rest of the car.

Know anyone that isn't retired that can fix the rust? :poke:

I'd think $4K would be a good number, based on what we can see. That light green when fresh, is a beautiful shade. White interior helps, too, IMO. Good thing the vinyl top was removed!

hey chris ... hard to assess you and your buddy's relationship doing business together.

my experience, however, is "fair" deals happen rather easily between buds .. presuming both of 'em are knowledgeable in the goods .. who naturally are inclined to be respectful/looking out for each other..

that said, and pretending NOT to know that information, if I saw this car, my mind is also in the $4K to $5K range.

This presumes that only the body panels we see need rust remediation... start going in the frame/floors my estimate would move down (i gotta pay folks for this kinda work -- if I had any skill I'd be less sensitive to this aspect of course).

Lots there to like .. good luck to you both.

That car is a nice oddball.
Well optioned almost to the price point of a Monaco.
383HP, buckets, AC, dual mirrors, power steering and brakes, fender mount turn signals..
4k is fair not knowing if the trunk is peppered from a leaking rear window.
As long as the frame rails and front stub are good, the pros outweigh the cons.
I agree that green is lovely when freshly painted and a new white top will set it off!
The interior is one thibg that is expensive to do...and it is done so thats half the battle next to body and paint.

Yeah I had a 68 VIP same color and my 68 NYer was green before I painted it RR1 Maroon.

It seems many Polara 500’s have the console and console shift. This has the split bench with armrest. Looks like most of the trim is there except for the 500 molding on the rh side.

It seems many Polara 500’s have the console and console shift. This has the split bench with armrest. Looks like most of the trim is there except for the 500 molding on the rh side.
Polara 500 came standard with buckets and center arm rest/buddy seat. Console/floor shift was a no cost option that had to be "ordered".
https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/colorAndTrim/1968/68_Polara0002.jpg
Also as the fender tag states, M6W came with black carpet.
Really sharp combo.
Sharp car if it gets fixed up properly.
I love our white interior with black carpet in our 69 Fury.
I wonder if this Polara was a "White Hat" spring special" with the white vinyl top?

Back